Child developement and BC childcare earn praise

Sara Lievanos, Reporter & Photographer

Bakersfield College’s Child Development program is making new improvements thanks to a high rating.

In March, the child development program at BC was awarded a four out of five star rating for the last school year from Kern Early Stars.

Kern Early Stars is an institution that observes childcare programs for children ages 2 to 5 years old and rates them based on seven different components.

According to the BC Child Development program manager Danell Ward, the department was rated based upon child observations, healthcare screenings, child interactions, environment, teacher qualifications, child to teacher ratios, and lastly director observations.

The program, which affords any student in attendance at BC free childcare services, was rated on a five star scale and received four stars, which is considered a high quality rating.

Because of the high rating the program received, Ward explained that in addition to receiving a plaque to display their accomplishment, the department is also earning block grants for as much as $45,000.

Any grant money the department receives is to be used strictly on the children and for enhancement of the childcare services.

When asked how the department has reacted to receiving a new source of funding, Ward exclaimed, “This is exciting for us because this money will help go toward new toys, materials, and training for the staff.”

According to Ward, for years any training for the childcare staff was self-funded, so the new grants will allow the department to offer more training and ultimately expand the future opportunities for people working in this field.

In addition to last year’s rating, this week the department will find out if they have maintained their rating for the second school year, and will also submit new applications to be rated for a third year.

With the possibility of holding onto their high rating for a second time, there is also another block grant for $29,000 at stake for the program.

However, Ward is confident the department will maintain their high rating, and explained why the grant money is crucial to the success of the program.

“These grants will allow our program to be revamped, and I think seeing the improvements will make the government and even the president realize that more money is needed in this field of work,” said Ward.

With the new funding, the program will be focusing on expanding activities for the children, such as science projects with light tables, and theatrical play to add diversity.

There will also be new outdoor equipment and water tables that Ward said they plan to fill with sand, rice, or foam while there is still a drought.

Because the child development program at BC is lab structured, Ward stresses the importance of how this rating will not only give the children in the center a better experience, but improve the education of the students taking child development courses as well. “If students are working in a center that is considered a quality program then they can take these practices and reach out to other programs in the community and show what quality child care looks like,” said Ward.