Faculty art familiar BC faces

Carissa Diaz, Reporter

The art faculty had a chance to express their art skills to students at the Bakersfield College Jones Gallery located in the Grace Van Dyke Byrd Library. The Art Faculty Exhibit is open to the students to view the artwork that professors on campus have created.
Inside, the art show presents the works of 15 art faculty members who each have displays of photographs, paintings or sculptures. They decided to share their different artwork with students to express that they teach, but also are still inspired to create artwork whether it be from their past or present.
A first time art presenter Dacey Villarreal, an adjunct faculty member, shared how her mother inspired her in her first artwork titled “Suits.” Villarreal’s painting speaks mostly to women as it encourages them to be proud of being who they are and to be comfortable in their own skin.
She said, “I was inspired by my late mother’s confidence of wearing a bikini and being proud of just being a woman.”
Her second painting “Field Spots” grabs the attention of those who have appreciation for field workers. Her mixed-media artwork displays gratitude to those who work to gather the food that people eat.
Villarreal said, “I was inspired by the hard working people in the fields. They work so hard to put food on our table. I am very thankful for their determination and hard work.”
She also shared how she is easily inspired by her surroundings such as her family, friends, the moment, or a memory. Villarreal enjoys experimenting with her art; she doesn’t want all her pieces to look the same.
Each of the art faculty members has their own specialty in art. Department chair and a well-known art faculty member Kristopher Stallworth displayed his four photos in the art gallery, all in black and white.
The artwork is untitled, but is from a series named “Mono.” It was given that series name because the photos are all black and white and shot in Mono County, California near Mammoth.
Stallworth’s inspiration was from different landscape than we’re familiar with in town. He said, “I’ve been photographing in Mono County for the last several years. It’s in the Eastern Sierras, and it’s a different landscape than we see around here-the landscape itself and the abstract beauty in it.”
He shared that his inspirations change depending on what he is working on during that time period. They have always been landscape photographs, but the technique varies.
Stallworth’s favorite picture out of the four is the panoramic picture because he hasn’t done a large landscape project like that before.
One of the reasons Stallworth believes the art show is a way to connect with students is by showing them that the teachers are also practicing artists. He also explained how the different techniques help make the pictures show differently. For example, some were printed on aluminum, and that influenced the way they were displayed.
Stallworth said, “I think it’s also a lot of the times interesting for them to see different techniques, things that wouldn’t necessarily be normal.”
The gallery is open on Thursdays at 1p.m. to 4p.m. or by appointment. The exhibition closes on Oct. 29.