BC Delano campus will join in the fight against cancer at Relay for Life

Misty Severi, Reporter

Imagine walking around a college track field at 2 a.m. The only light you see is caused by the faint glow of the candles burning inside of paper bags with people’s names written on them. The names are the names of the loved ones who lost their fight against cancer, and now you’re walking around this track to help win the fight in memory of them.

Bakersfield College Delano Campus is participating in Delano’s Relay for Life event again this year from 10 a.m. on April 9, to 7 a.m. April 10 at the Delano High School.

Relay for Life is a grand fundraiser put on by the American Cancer Society in many cities across the country throughout the year. It is an event where hundreds (and in some cities, thousands) of people come out and walk around a high school or college track to help support the fight against cancer.Each team member tries to raise at least $100 for cancer research by hosting bake sales and having booths at campus events. So far, the BC Relay For Life team has raised $918 out of their goal of $1000 for their 10 members.

“Almost everyone, whether it be a friend, family member, acquaintance, loved one, significant other, etc. has been affected (by cancer) in some way,” said Loy Salarda, a member of the Relay For Life club. “This is simply our way of acknowledging the struggles they go through and the support we’re providing, not only at the Delano Campus, but the BC community as a whole.”

Helen Calip, a Delano Campus employee and member of the RFL club, is a cancer survivor who is now currently battling lymphoma, a cancer of the lymph nodes.

“This battle will be more intense than the first time. A hug goes to all those who had to deal with cancer. A soft pat over the heart for all who are no longer with us because of cancer,” said Calip. “I am proud to say we have again a committed group of BC Renegades this year to stand shoulder to shoulder to lend their support, to continue to help in the fight.”

Delano had its first Relay For Life event back in 2000; just three years after Calip had her first battle with cancer.

The Delano Campus was among the first teams in the Delano RFL to step forward and bring awareness to the community about what people can do to help the fight.

To support BC Renegades, speak to anyone on the BC team over at the Delano Campus, or go to Relayforlife.org and type in “Bakersfield College Renegades.”