17th annual health and wellness fair

Ambria King, Reporter

On April 19 the Bakersfield College Health and Wellness Center and the Associates Degree Nursing Program will be holding the 17th annual Renegade Pulse Health and Wellness Fair from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the lawn east of the Campus Center. The theme of this year’s event is “The Social Determinants of Health.” Those in attendance will receive information about the aspects of society that contribute, either directly or indirectly, to both public and individual health.

Ray Purcell, director of Bakersfield College’s Health and Wellness Center, pointed to a range of issues, outside of basic medical treatment, that can contribute to health.“Research has lately shown that aesthetics, things that are pleasing to the eye are essential to health. When you think about health you can think, to a certain extent, about longevity, but we’re not just talking about living the years. We’re talking about living the years in a healthful way,” said Purcell.

He hopes that those who attend the event walk away with a different perspective on health and the issues that determine good health. There will be a number of speakers at the event, including Bakersfield Mayor Karen Goh, the medical director of Kern County Public Health, Dr. Claudia Jonas, the director of partnerships and organizing at Young Invincibles, Kristin McGuire, and UCLA Health Ambassador Fellow, Dr. Julio Vargas.

Speakers will begin presenting at 9 a.m. and will cover a range of different topics, from Bakersfield’s Health report card to the importance of access to affordable healthcare. The event will be open to the public, and additional parking will be reserved for those who want to attend the event.