BC in need of scribes

MIsty Severi, Reporter

Bakersfield College Scribe Coordinator Cynthia Garbett is still searching for more paid scribes this semester.
“There are 11 scribe positions still available,” Garbett said. “Scribes are important because they take notes for students who are unable to take notes themselves.”
They must have already taken those classes before and received an A or a B.
Scribes must be currently enrolled in at least six units, be good at listening attentively, speaking clearly, and copying down notes from the board, lectures, PowerPoint presentations or any other method the professor wishes to use.
Timing is not flexible because the scribe must attend the full length of those classes in order to take proper notes.
Scribes must have good, readable handwriting and must be able to assist the student in any class activity the student’s disability prevents them from accomplishing themselves.
Scribes may be asked to type up the notes and email them to the Disabled Students Programs and Services office or the student.
Scribes also may be asked to help out in reading an exam and recording the student’s exact responses if the student is unable to do so on a computer.
Visit www.CollegeCentral.com/bakersfieldcollege for a full list of qualifications.
Applications are available in the Admissions and Records office.
If you feel that you need a scribe, contact the DSPS office in the Student Services building for accommodations.