Statistics at a state-low for BC’s offense

Mohamed Bafakih, Multimedia/Sports Editor

[Photos by Joe Bergman]

It has been a rough outing for the Bakersfield College football team over the course of the last few weeks.

Plagued by turnovers and mental errors, the Renegades (0-3) are finding it difficult to get into the groove of things.

Offensively, BC is dead last in the state of 69 schools in yards per game, as they’re averaging 191.3 yards of total offense.

The reasoning behind it: 146 passing yards a game and 45.3 rushing yards a game, fourth worst in the state in both categories.

The Renegades have also been outscored 104-28 in their first three games – the 28 points puts them also fourth-to-last in that category.

On the receiving end of six of those 28 points, which came in Saturday’s 38-7 loss against second-ranked LBCC, freshman wide receiver Jayson Jackson is critical about the offensive performance as of late.

“Turnovers play a big part with us not being able to put points on the board,” Jackson said, who finished with one catch for 39 yards and the team’s only touchdown in the first quarter.

Turnovers were the difference in the game as BC’s quarterbacks threw three interceptions, one from starter Tarek Yaeggi (5th on the season), and two from 6-foot-5, 195-pound freshman Noah Holle.

Yaeggi started the game and finished the evening going 8-for-14 for 129 yards, one touchdown and one interception, but was sacked seven times.

Coming off a 13-for-26, 109-yard and three-interception performance in the 33-7 loss the previous week at Golden West, Yaeggi was replaced by Holle who came in for the second straight game to see some action.

In the Sept. 12 meeting at Golden West, Holle went 4-for-6 for 37 yards late in the game.

Holle replaced Yaeggi midway through the third quarter but this time struggled to find his rhythm.

Holle went 2-for-5 for 21 yards and threw two interceptions and head coach Jeff Chudy went to the bench again to bring in the team’s third quarterback, Brandon Steele shortly after.

“The o-line is still finding themselves and getting things worked out,” Holle said. “Us quarterbacks need to be more confident and take care of the ball…all three teams were good teams no doubt, but there’s no excuse for how we played.”

Speculations may be rising high – whether it’s the offensive line, quarterback situation that is still skeptical, or the running game that has also been unreliable as they haven’t been moving the chains – but the teams they’ve faced are undoubtedly top-tier.

All three of their respective opponents are currently 3-0 and are atop of the regional rankings with Riverside receiving the outright first-place vote in the state ranking.

There’s no gimmick to how good Riverside, Golden West and Long Beach City College are. The Bakersfield College football team is in a battle with itself and with conference-rival Allan Hancock (2-1) coming to Memorial Stadium on Sept. 26 (6 p.m.). It’s uncertain whether it’s panic time for the Renegades, or just the tough preseason schedule to start off the season.

“Playing those teams have showed us what corrections we need to make in certain places,” Jackson said. “It will be a challenge for us after coming off our third straight loss, but our coaches will prepare us for Saturday’s challenge and we will be successful.”