Swim takes three to state

Mason J. Rockfellow, Editor in Chief

Conference has come to an end for the Bakersfield College swim team, but three swimmers’ last stop will be the CCCAA Swim Championships to wrap up the season.

BC last swam in the WSC Championships at Cuesta College from April 21-23.

BC had 21 swimmers place in the top 16 in their events at the WSC Championships. To name a few of the top placers: Erik Wood took first in the 200-meter butterfly, Daniel Delgadillo took second in the 1650, Bri Smith took second in the 200 breaststroke, Sara Klang took third in the 100 freestyle, Brian Bender took third in the 200 breaststroke, and Alexis Wyatt took fifth in the 200 butterfly.

Head coach Matt Moon said, “Great meet from top to bottom for us. Everyone on the team went best times and everyone contributed. We finished strong on day three of the meet.”

Even though 21 swimmers placed in the top 16 at the WSC Championships, only three made the cut for the CCCAA Swim Championships on May 5-7 at East L.A. College.

Those swimmers are Klang, Smith and Wood. All are sophomores, and this will be their last meet ever for BC.

Since the swimmers taper training was in affect for the WSC Championships, it puts the swimmers in kind of a difficult spot, said Moon.

“It’s kind of a tough spot because they work toward the end-of-the-year taper meet at conference and whenever they qualify, then they have to hold on to their taper for two more weeks, so sometimes that is a little more difficult,” Moon said.

But Moon said he has adjusted the training and brought them back up last week and plans to bring them down this week in practice until the meet.

Moon said with Klang, Smith and Wood all swimming different events, the focus of their training will be geared more toward their specific events.

“It is a lot different than it was during the season and having a team workout we did separate into groups, but this is a lot more specialized and individualized. Trying to see how they are feeling going off, how they are looking in the water, feeling in the water, and kind of adjusting on the fly in a sense,” said Moon.

Smith will be swimming in the 100 and 200 breaststroke, Klang will be swimming the 100, 200 and 500 freestyle, while Wood will be swimming the 200 IM, as well as the 100 and 200 butterfly. It will be Smith’s first dip into East L.A. College’s indoor pool, seeing as Wood and Klang have already have had a chance to swim there. This will be the first time Wood and Smith have gone to the CCCAA Swim Championships.