Men’s basketball falls in championship

11/25/16 2:32:55 PM — Bakersfield College vs Cero Coso College, Thanksgiving Basketball Tournament –Bakersfield College, Bakersfield, Ca;

Sam L. Jaime, Reporter

The Bakersfield College men’s basketball team fell two points shy of a tournament championship victory, losing to Mt. San Jacinto 78-77 in an overtime loss in the finale of the Bakersfield Thanksgiving Tournament. The loss was preceded by two blowout victories in which the Renegades outscored their opponents by 78 points.

In the first game of the tournament Nov. 25 against Cerro Coso, the Renegades closed the first half with a 19-point lead, outscoring Cerro Coso 51-32. The Renegades continued to score in the second half, putting up 59 points to Cerro Coso’s 27, completing the 51-point blowout with a final score of 110-59.

Bakersfield College continued its success Nov. 26 against Porterville College.

The Renegades capitalized on another solid first half, outscoring Porterville 45-25.

In the second half, the Renegades again pulled away, as they had the previous day, resulting in a 27-point victory and a spot in the championship game Nov. 27 against Mt. San Jacinto.

At the end of a tightly contested first half against Mt. San Jacinto in the championship round, Bakersfield College led by 5 points.

The Renegades held a 3-point lead in the final moments of the second half, only to watch Mt. San Jacinto’s Tre Nottingham sink his only basket from behind the arc, sending the game into overtime.

In overtime, Bakersfield College couldn’t stop Mt. San Jacinto, who outlasted the Renegades, putting up 7 points.

Bakersfield College student Brandon Nebitt said, “I’m surprised. We have a good team this year. I figured we’d beat these guys, especially because we beat Cerro Coso by what, 50 points? Still, what an exciting game; for it to be so close, and to go into overtime, that was rough.” The Renegades will vie for another chance to win a tournament championship on Dec. 2 against Fullerton as part of the Antelope Valley College Tournament.