Comedian Pablo Francisco comes to Bakersfield

Jesse Najera

Pablo Fransisco entertaining the crowd with his stand-up comedy.

Jesse Najera, Reporter

Comedian Pablo Francisco came to Bakersfield on Thursday, Feb. 9.  He delivered a great performance to a sold out crowd at the Temblor Brewing Company which is located at 3200 Buck Owens Blvd. Temblor is a local beer brewing company that, along with beer, has a working kitchen, offers tours, and is a venue for live entertainment.

I arrived at Temblor at around 6 p.m. to scout out a good position for photos. I am introduced to Temblor CFO Thomas Maxwell. Thomas informs me that they opened their doors for business in September of 2015. In addition to the overall business model, they will begin to teach brewing classes through Bakersfield College in March. Classes will be held at the brewery. They have a canning line at the brewery that produces seasonal and year round beers.

At about 7 p.m. the Temblor is packed as the show begins. Opening the show are local comedians Jason Cohen and Chris Flail. Jason started the show with his witty ‘adult life is funny’ style of comedy.

Following Jason is Chris Flail, with his high energy and an animated presence on stage. He is funny and worth seeing again. He self identifies as a meathead. Chris is a transplant to Bakersfield. His hometown is Frackville, Pennsylvania. He moved to Bakersfield after going to college in Tulsa, Oklahoma for school and, having done some stand-up comedy a few time while there, has started performing at venues all around Bakersfield.

Opening up just before Pablo Francisco is Steve Kramer. Steve is a funny and talented comedian that has worked with several big names like Frank Caliendo.  He is very animated with his physical and facial characteristics. Steve has the ability to create the illusion of a celebrity’s behavior as well as the way they speak and sound. Both Steve and Pablo are comic impressionist easily within the ranks of names like Frank Caliendo and Jim Carey.

Last up, and the one we’ve all been waiting for, is Pablo Francisco. Like a lot of people, I grew up watching Pablo perform stand up on cable television and the internet. I also watched him as cast member on MadTV. As soon as he steps onto the stage, Pablo is ‘on’ and performing. He delivers a very physical performance. His talent as a celebrity impersonator is great and his ability to create situational comedy with those characters is hilarious, smart, and topical. He also creates original and memorable characters, some of which the crowd would, occasionally, request. When it came to interaction with the audience, Pablo would both seek out people to talk to, and turn loud outburst into funny interactions with the audience.

Before Pablo finishes his performance, Steve Kramer joins him on stage. What happens next is a fast paced and hilarious performance, as the two comedians assume different celebrity personas. Together they act out funny and awkwardly intimate comedy. I am laughing out loud along with the sold out and packed house.

After the show, the comedians, including Pablo, stay after at the Temblor venue. They meet and greet the people in attendance. Several comedians talk to fans and take pictures. I am able to talk to Pablo Francisco and Steve Kramer for a few moments before they leave. They are easy going and gracious to fans. They take the time to give as many people as possible a friendly greeting and photo opportunity.

This was a fun show. Pablo Francisco was definitely the highlight of the night. The crowd, along with myself, was entertained. I look forward to his return performances in Bakersfield, along with the other comedians. Bakersfield continues bring great entertainment to town.

(4 out of 5)