Stanford speakers informs students

Carissa Diaz, Reporter

Nursing majors gathered at Bakersfield College to receive information from the Stanford Primary Care Associate Program. The speaker gave tips on how the program works and requirements to get into the program.

On Sept. 24, Fred M. Tovar, PCAP’s director of student affairs and assistant director of admissions, and Carlos Flores, Alumni and Kern County regional coordinator, spoke to the students of the medical field about joining the program.

Tovar stated, “Our mission is to train physician assistants for practice in primary care and underserved communities while being responsive to internal Stanford University Medical Center and external community needs.”

The 21-month program helps students gain knowledge working with primary care physicians. Throughout those months, students will get a chance to practice a variety of clinical training. Tovar explained that most of the time spent there would be used at school because it’s fast-paced and the classes are difficult.

Flores added, “When things get tough its easy to bail out, but if you’re convinced that medicine is what you want to do, then you find a way to get through.”

The program looks for students who have the passion for the career and are involved in the community. Admissions like to choose the ones who are giving back to the community.

When you’ve completed the program, they want to send you back in your community to work in a primary-care setting. There are times when a student will get the opportunity to work in another area for different pay.

It is required that students have a 3.0 GPA or above with certain course requirements and science prerequisites. Those who do not have a degree or GE have to complete the Foothill General Education Prerequisites/ Inter-segmental General Education Transfer Curriculum. There are also prerequisites for general education students. Starting the year of 2017, a bachelor’s degree will be required as well.

A personal statement is also required when applying. Stanford wants to know why the applicant wants to attend this school and a situation that they personally have overcome. They like to see that you grow as a person from difficult situations in life.

Many students see that they are set to apply because they reached requirements, but PCAP takes more than that to get through the program.

Tovar said, “You may be ready, but you have to be ready physically, emotionally, and mentally.”

He ended the presentation with interview tips saying to go in completely ready with knowledge of your own resume and to speak from the heart. The admissions want to see students prepared to take the program serious.

Students have to register and enroll at the Foothill College but take courses at the Stanford Medical School Campus.