BC alumnus Meadows gives advice to crowd

Cinthia Loera, Reporter

Bakersfield College alumnus Bob Meadows, Mission Bank’s Riverwalk/Business Banking Center vice president and manager, spoke of his accomplishments and gave advice to students on Nov. 19 in the Science and Engineering building.

The event concluded the Career Series presented by BC Student Alumni Nexus.

Throughout his presentation, Meadows spoke of his experiences as a Bakersfield College student in the ‘70s and about how specifically his time as editor in chief of the Renegade Rip helped form his work ethic and gave him the communication skills that he has utilized throughout his entire career.

He went on to describe the obstacles and jobs he had to overcome before entering the banking industry over 36 years ago.

Meadows spoke in detail about the process he goes through when having to choose a potential employee.

He explained how he finds it important for applicants to look professional from the moment they walk into his building to turn in a resume or application because he analyzes and decides whether he will even consider hiring a person within the first few minutes of initially meeting them.

“If you come to an interview for a job, I’ll make you wait because I can,” said Meadows. “I want to see what you’re going to do within those few minutes that I have you sitting in my lobby nervously waiting.”

Meadows also spoke about how important the actions of employers on their personal time can be.

He said that his company looks through their employees’ social media accounts and that they know they should always be careful about what they post.

He also mentioned that he always keeps up a clean, professional appearance, even when off work because he knows he always represents his company’s image.

When Meadows was introduced before his presentation, his resume was read out loud, which listed his many volunteer accomplishments over the years. He later went on to say that every employer is looking for a well-rounded person.

“We’re looking for somebody that gives of themselves without necessarily looking for a return on that,” said Meadows. “It says you stepped outside and did something extra to help our community improve, so we want to see that.”

A member of the audience asked whether students should focus on finding their passion or begin building basic working skills first.

Meadows said he believed they should put some thought into and decide on what their passion is, while also getting things done that they may not like but will need it in order to get far enough to reach their dream job and be able to do what they love.