BCSGA voting allows all students’ voices to be heard

Sara Lievanos, Reporter

There is a way to have your voice heard at Bakersfield College, and it starts with voting for the Student Government Association.

As the deadline to file for election into BC’s SGA passed on March 11, the rest of the work is now left to the students who decide to vote this April.

Many students who would like to see an aspect of Bakersfield College improved upon or changed don’t share these ideas with the people who have the ability to make a difference, which on our campus happens to be the SGA.

The BCSGA’s responsibility is to share the needs and concerns of students with the College Council, the State Student California Community College, and other campus-wide committees.

The SGA is also responsible for organizing student events and allocating funds to clubs and other organizations on campus.

With this kind of responsibility and representation of Bakersfield College, voting for BCSGA should be something all students at least consider taking part in.

Office of Student Life Department Assistant Danyel Owens said, “it is easy to make complaints, but students need to know there is a next step they can take, and that SGA is the hub of decision making at BC.”

The voting period for the 2016-17 BCSGA officers will begin at 8 a.m.

on April 11 and continue until April 14 at 4 p.m.

The results for the election are supposed to be announced one hour after the polls close on April 14.

As for the voting process itself, Owens explains there will be several tents set up on campus with tablets and laptops for students to vote on.

For students who can’t make it to campus there will also be the option to vote through their accounts at insideBC.

If still questioning whether to vote this April or not, Owens emphasizes, “Voting allows students to be heard because change starts with BCSGA.”