Diffusing woe with therapy

The Stress Free Tips: For mental hygiene and wellness

Daulton James Jones

Daulton James Jones

Daulton James Jones, Reporter

With all the stress I was dealing with this semester I knew if I didn’t do something I’d flip. Aromatherapy is something that I came across a few years ago because my best friend’s grandmother is a Medicine Woman, and when she does readings and healings she uses it to create a safe space for her work.

Aromatherapy is defined as the use of aromatic plant extracts and essential oils in massage or baths. Your sense of smell can actually be used as a tool to heal your mind, body, and spirit. You can use this by placing a couple of drops onto your pulse points and let your oil of choice work its way through your bloodstream, or you could use it aerially by way of candles or oil diffusers. I prefer the oil diffuser in my room because it creates a great vibe. Every time I’m studying, I use lemongrass because citrus naturally makes you feel more awake, and that’s just one affect you can receive from aromatherapy.

As students, we are constantly having to deal with all types of deadlines, stress, creative droughts, all kinds of sicknesses, etc., so here are some scents you may want to check out to assist you on your life journey.

Citruses do not only taste great, but they are great pick- me-ups when you’re feeling a little sluggish or tired. They are uplifting, but gentle enough to not overwhelm. Try Lemongrass and Bergamot, they are my personal favorites because they just smell so good, and when doing homework, they get me through it. Also try orange, grapefruit, petigrain, neroli oils.

I personally hate it when I feel like all my creative juices have dried up. I feel so useless, and then you don’t want to try to force it because that is so painful and stressful.  To my shock, aromatherapy can help invoke the creative juices inside of you. If this  is a problem you’re facing try scents like bergamot, lemon, frankincense, neroli and jasmine. These scents help stimulate your creative center, so just take some nice deep breaths to help circulate them.

Seasons are on the verge of changing which means colds and allergies season is coming. I hate it because usually  around mid-March to early April my allergies always get the best of me, but I hate taking medicine. So since I hate taking medicine for little things I found some oils that could help open up my air ways, and relive those nagging sinus, migraine, and just normal headaches that come along with the seasons changing. Peppermint, lavender and eucalyptus are my favorites. I’m prone to migraines and when it comes to headaches I usually use roll-on essential oils. I just rub a little bit on my pulse points, and just chill out to let the oils work their magic. You can also use pine. I personally don’t because I just hate the smell of it.

Lastly, to just chill out, maybe even knock out, use these oils. Lavender, chamomile, Palo Santo, bergamot, sandalwood and cedar wood all of these are warming and relaxing. Lavender is definitely the leader of the pack because it’s just so effective. Take a bath, topically apply, or aerially take in the calmness they all bring.