Sunday Funday at the Haggin Oaks Farmers Market

Razan Makhlouf

Bakersfield High FFA students Lorena Cruz (right), and Rosario Reyes (left) at their Pumpkin Project booth

Razan Makhlouf, Photo Editor

Bakersfield is full of local farmers, small-batch food crafters, artists, and small business owners who make Sunday a fun day for the whole family.

The Haggin Oaks Farmers Market is one of the many Kern County gems. This farmers market is loaded with delicious food and community that is a perfect treat after a year of staying indoors.

Every Sunday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., vendors from Bakersfield and beyond gather to share their stories and products. From fresh fruits and vegetables to hot barbecue and delicious desserts, the Haggin Oaks Farmers Market is sure to be the perfect local getaway and cater to the entires family.

One of the vendors you will find there is Phil Beltran, from Brother Ray’s Salsa and Seasoning, is proud that all their products are made with fresh ingredients. Beltran’s favorite part of the farmers market experience is seeing so many happy and smiling faces after the challenging year that we experienced.

“This is our syear at Haggin Oaks Farmer’s Market. It is so nice to see people in person again,” he said.

While there are vendors that have been established for many years, the Haggin Oaks Farmers Market welcomes new businesses as well. B & P Honey was founded in 2021, and it is a business venture between two local Kern County families. Their local orange blossom honey is a must-try!

A farmers’ market is a good way for networking, and for small emerging projects to grow. This was the case for the Bakersfield High FFA students who started the Pumpkin Project in 2019. This is a group of enthusiastic high school students who plant, seed, weed, harvest, and sell their very own pumpkins at the farmer’s market.

Although the process can be very exhausting, students are enjoying it a lot. Lorena Cruz, a student at Bakersfield High School, and Project Manager of the Pumpkin Project said, “Being part of the Future Farmers of America (FFA) organization has allowed me to gain more hands-on experience in agriculture.”

Cruz not only helps supervise the weeding and harvesting process, but she also teaches new members how to work in the field. “Having participated in the pumpkin project, it guided me into wanting a career in agriculture” Cruz said.

Haggin Oaks Farmers Market is held at the Kaiser Permanente parking lot, on Ming Ave and Haggin Oaks Blvd.