Ravers gather to celebrate anniversary

Nathan Wilson

Nathan Wilson

Bakersfield College Student Don Halphin plays with lights inside Club Ice during Sugar’s one year anniversary Feb. 4.

Metiqua Eng, Reporter

People of all ages gathered at Sugar’s one-year anniversary dressed in bright outfits and uniquely made bracelets better known as Candies. DJs bobbed their heads to the protruding sounds of music blaring through massive headphones while fans bounced around with excitement to the thick resonance of electronic music.

The flickering strobe lights, the ground-shaking bass, and the constant movement of dancing bodies are some of the enticing reasons why many flocked to this event to experience all the elements of a rave.

Sugar has been hosted by The Bakersfield Dome to hold several different events within the past year bringing teenagers and young adults together to enjoy a night of raving.  Local talent and surprise guests are all expected in the DJ lineup to play different kinds of electronic music from electro, hardstyle, drum and bass, dubstep, and many more.

Sugar’s Feb. 3 show featured DJs such as Daze, DSKOTEK, My Name Is Carlos, Pornscore, and featured artist and producer Big Chocolate. These entertainers came out to support Sugar’s one-year anniversary as well as share their love for electronic music and passion to DJ.  Several of the performers hyped up the audience with wild performances which consisted of stage dives, jumping around stage, pointing to fans in the crowd, and interacting with the whole audience.

A lot of work goes into planning the events, such as booking the right DJs, advertising, and making the event an overall success.  DJ and event promoter My Name Is Carlos says, “It’s hard work always having a good time, but someone’s got to do it.”

The next Sugar event will be on April 1 at The Rainbow Ballroom in Fresno where promoters, DJs, and fans will continue to bring Sugar raves to central California.