Bakersfield College hosts its first annual KCMEA Jazz Day

Crystal Valdez, Features Editor

Bakersfield College hosted its first annual KCMEA Jazz Day on April 14 at the Simonsen Performing Arts Center. The event lasted from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and consisted of performances by various junior high and high school jazz bands from all over Kern County as well as performances by the BC Jazz Ensemble, and featured artist Joe LaBarbera who performed alongside the BC Faculty Jazz Ensemble.

Compositions by artists such as Thelonious Monk, Duke Ellington, Miles Davis, and Joe Labarbera himself were heard throughout the day.

“Everything is running smoothly… We have a really tight schedule, but everyone has been so helpful,” said Kris Tiner, director of the BC jazz program.

Students who participated in the event were encouraged to document their experience on social media with the hashtag #jazzdaybc. Aside from viewing performances done by other schools and by BC students and faculty, the junior high and high school students were able to attend workshops that took place after lunch. The workshops were put on by Joe LaBarbera and the musicians who formed part of the BC Faculty Jazz Ensemble.

Guitar player Josh Ottum held a workshop that focused on music technology, while bass player Pete Scaffidi held a workshop that focused on the bass. Meanwhile, Tiner held a workshop that focused on brass instruments, and LaBarbera held a workshop that focused on percussions.

“It’s really great that everybody’s staying around. The students are all listening and commenting and supportive of each other. It’s not a competitive thing. There’s no competition in art,” said Tiner about the event.

Tiner plans to make KCMEA Jazz Day an annual event at BC. Ties with CSUB are possible to help the event grow in the future.

The KCMEA Jazz Day was a day filled with music education that inspired students to be creative. As Tiner stated near the end of his interview, “That’s what we’re trying to do … make art and learn about art.”