Random Renegade

Every issue, The Rip will be interviewing a random student at BC about hopes and goals.

Crystal Valdez, Features Editor

Jonathan Salinas, 20, is a human biology major at Bakersfield College.

Salinas is used to rigorous amounts of homework and impacted class schedules, so he feels ready to transfer to Cal State Bakersfield in the fall.

“I’m stressing over school, but I do like what I do. I just need to get my shit together,” said Salinas.

Salinas is currently taking 18.5 units at BC.

“I only have time for school, work, and to work out,” said Salinas. He works at a local Starbucks and enjoys working out on his free time.

After receiving his AA in human biology, Salinas plans to earn his BA in kinesiology at Cal State Bakersfield in the fall of 2016.

Salinas changed his major at BC once; he used to be a nursing major.

“It [nursing] was hard, but I am a CNA [certified nurse’s assistant] now, so those classes weren’t for nothing,” said Salinas.

His start as a nursing major is what helped him transition into majoring in human biology. According to Salinas, with an AA in human biology, it is more likely for him to be hired as an emergency medical technician.

He added, “I like the whole paramedic, pre hospital, first response action. If I were going to be a nurse, I would be in an ICU [intensive care unit]. Now I want to be a physician’s assistant. I’m not sure what I would specialize in, but that’s the direction I’m going so far.”

Salinas plans to go to UC Davis after his time at Cal State Bakersfield because, according to Salinas, they have a good physician’s assistant program.

He told The Rip that he truly did not want to be a nurse to begin with. He recalled his mother making the suggestion, so he went with it. He initially did want to major in kinesiology, but he was unsure what to do with the degree. Salinas is much happier with the path he has chosen to take now.

He said, “As a nurse you deal with people, but as a PA you diagnose people, and I think that’s pretty interesting.”