BC students showcase their talents

Brandon Cowan, Reporter

On Feb. 2, the Jones Art Gallery opened for the Student Art Exhibition at 3 p.m. and will be open Monday through Thursday 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. during the spring semester.

There were a total of six videos as well as 50 drawings, paintings, and sculptures at the gallery.

Thomas Andrade, 28, a physics major, submitted a video titled “Claymation Test Reel” to the exhibition. He said, “It’s not really a narrative, it’s like a combination of small clips I put together. I’ve been working on and off on it for the last year. I put like six hours into it.”

The Claymation that Andrade submitted had numerous clips including people made out of clay doing various things such as being on the moon, faces being melted, colorful lights being shined, and a clip of someone being ripped apart by some creature and exposing an electronic device in the person made of clay.

Vice president of instruction of Bakersfield College Nan Gomez-Heitzeberg attended the gallery, stating that it was a “good art show.”

She also said, “I almost always attend, but in particular this year I wanted to attend because we have such a wide range of students – different kinds of art that I wanted to make sure that I got to see them all.”

Gomez-Heitzeberg was a professor of art for 31 years and suggested that might be the reason that she comes to almost all of the student art exhibitions.

A.I. and robotics major Michael Anthony de Tomaso, 63, was at the Jones Gallery.

“I love art. Art is life. Life is art,” he said.

Jay Patel, 21, a civil engineering major, said the reason why he came to the exhibition was because he took an art class before. He was particularly interested in a piece titled “Untitled [Rodin in Process]”, created by Biology major Rubi Solano, 19.

Solano said that the piece took her more than 10 hours throughout the course of a couple of weeks. Solano submitted the piece to the gallery before it was finished, but she was not allowed to submit the art untitled.

Tom Betthauser has been running the Jones Gallery for three years. He said that he leaves his trust with the students and the professors when a student submits an art piece that is not finished. He will look over the art and decide if it can be finished by the time that it will be on display because students are not allowed to show unfinished art in the gallery.