BC Performing Arts will showcase Orwell’s ‘1984’

Alexandra Apatiga, Reporter

The Bakersfield College Performing Arts Department will be showcasing a play adaptation of George Orwell’s novel “1984,” adapted by Robert Owens, Wilton E. Hall Jr. and William A. Miles Jr. and directed by BC theater professor Kimberly Chin.

The play is set to hold shows from Wednesday Nov. 15 through Saturday Nov. 18 and will be performed in The Black Box Theatre in the Performing Arts Center (PAC 107). The doors will open at 7 p.m. and the show will begin at 7:30 p.m., with a matinee daytime showing of the play on Nov. 18 at 2 p.m.

The novel, which the play is based on, was published in 1949 and was written as a warning for humanity not to give into government control.

According to Chin, the world that the play is set in is a dystopian society ruled under a totalitarian government, where all free-thought and will are suppressed and citizens are always under surveillance.

Chin explained that “1984,” while a work of fiction, can easily be compared to our own world, and she expressed her hope that audiences will see both Orwell’s original message, as well as the efforts of her actors in expressing that message.

“The arts are powerful” said Chin, “With theater, actors need to be able to understand the message of the script and who their characters are when performing for an audience.

“If my students aren’t able to understand who they are playing and why, then the overall message loses its meaning.”

Among Chin’s students who will be performing in “1984” include Chris Nisbett, a BC Theater major and actor who has performed in several BC productions.

Nisbett’s character O’Brien, will serve as the main antagonist of the play.

“It’s always stressful before we go on stage because there comes a point during rehearsals and setup where we just can’t wait for the play to be over,” said Nisbett, “But once it’s all said and done, you just can’t wait for the next one.”

Tickets for “1984” can be purchased through Vallitix.com or at the door the night of the play. Admission starts at $12 for general admission and $8 for students, faculty and staff, military, and seniors, no children under six years old will be allowed entry.