Kern Energy Festival educates

Christina Benavides

Taft College offering children attending the event to play a bowling game.

Christina Benavides, Reporter

The second Kern Energy Festival (KEF), was held at the Kern County Museum on Nov. 11.

The event happened 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and admission was free to the public. Every two years, the KEF takes place, according to Chairman of the Kern Energy Foundation, Chad Hathaway. Hathaway added that there were over 100 vendors that day and an expecting 5-6,000 attendees.

In addition, there was a section labelled “Kids Zone” that featured interactive activities for children. The activities included; mobile learning units sponsored by Chevron, and a STEM zone (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics).

Hathaway explained that the event was created to bring energy and the community closer together, and to celebrate our energy industry in Kern County. He also mentioned the importance of oil and gas.

“Oil and gas is such an important part of our community, thousands and thousands of people work in that industry, and our tax is based mainly on oil and gas,” Hathaway said.

He concluded that the purpose of the day was to celebrate the industry and educate our locals.

One energy related vendor, Kern Citizens for Energy, was invited to the KEF. Julie Bell, 28, member of Kern Citizens for Energy, spoke highly of their work advocating energy in Kern County.

Bell mentioned that the non-profit organization has been in existence for four years, and their main goal is to bring light to the conversation of energy.

Adding, that they also introduce energy in education in schools, and recently had a mobile oil field learning unit in Arvin at Haven Drive middle school.

Christina Benavides
Bakersfield College representatives for the STEM department interact with children at the Bakersfield Energy Festival.

She also included that they have advocated for energy at California State University of Bakersfield and Bakersfield College in the past, and that it is important to talk about the topic within education.

“There is so much misinformation out there and I think because Kern County has so much gas production, and it is such a driving factor in our economy, and a huge part in our community, it is important for people here locally to be educated,” Belle said.

She also explained that it is important to educate our youth because a lot of kids, and even college students are misinformed about the energy industry, and it affects our environment.

All proceeds made at the KEF will go to educational charities.

For more information on KEF visit www.KernEnergyFestival.com.