South High School students’ geometry art gallery, “Geometrix,” hosted at the Empty Space

Issy Barrientos

Jennifer Folkert, attendee of the gallery, looks at her geometrix star piece.

Issy Barrientos, Reporter

On. Feb. 17, The Empty Space hosted the reception for the South High School Geometrix art gallery. Geometrix is the use of geometry to create art. The reception was open and free to the public, but attendees could buy stills to support seniors taking the Advanced Placement (AP) Calculus exam. For $15, one could buy a star piece or a replica of the Wood Lion, or for $10 one could buy a still.

Marti Hoyt, a math teacher said that this is the first art show, and that the reception was a chance for the public to meet with the artist. She also noted that the public “usually just sees the artwork when there are plays.”

When one thinks of the word art one might think of paints and canvases. The art in this exhibit was made with strings and nails, another art piece was made entirely out of pencils and rubber bands, and there was a lion etched on wood.

Gregory Wattonville, another math teacher, commented on how the classrooms are art galleries so they, “moved an art gallery into an art gallery.” Wattonville said that they want “to get rid of the stigma around math.” He also said that “the art doesn’t take away from the education.”

A few members of the community were present such as Jennifer Folkert who purchased a pointy star. She plans to put her memento on her patio where the flowers have not bloomed yet.

Kathyrn Merrs, another member of the community, heard of the event through Facebook. She said that, “it’s a great idea. It’s awesome.”

John Kennedy heard about the art gallery through the Californian. He said that he would have bought a geometrix painting of Vincent van Gogh without hesitation, but the stills of that piece were all sold out. Another piece he had his eye on was ‘Frozen Heart,’ but the stills for that art work were also sold out. He commented on how he would still be able to walk out with one because it is the piece that is on the flyer for the event.

Lisa Krch, public information and communication manager for the Kern High School District, was also present at the exhibit with her two sons. She brought them to show to how to “use something like math to create something beautiful. Brings a new perspective.”

The art gallery is the first step for a more ambitious plan. This plan is to be a non-profit organization. Hoyt wants to start off this endeavor at South and eventually branch off to other schools. The plan, Hoyt explains, is to go beyond AP exams and maybe college applications or unexpected fees.  She said that, “we can do a lot of good.”