Exploring life and nature at the Wind Wolves Preserve Park

Alexis Pedroza

Visitors petting mules and feeding them as well.

Alexis Pedroza, Reporter

The 5th Annual Spring Nature Festival took place on March 3-4 at the Wind Wolves Preserve Park. The festival included free admission for all to attend and enjoy what the preserve has to offer.

Visitors were able to experience over nine free events, though park volunteers did mention that donations were greatly appreciated.

Most of these events took place in the administration area, which was surrounded by tents with different activities for people of all ages to enjoy.

The preserve quickly filled up with visitors as they enjoyed the first event Raptors, Falcons, and Hawks presented by Steve Hawks.

Hawks explained the basic differences between falcons and hawks to the audience, from the way each bird flies to the difference in their feathers.

An interesting fact that surprised the audience was that both female falcons and hawks were larger than the male ones.

The next event was the Reptile Talk, which was presented by high school volunteers, visitors got to meet and learn about different kinds snakes and tortoises.

They even got the chance to touch and feel them. Visitor, Mary Thomas really enjoyed getting to touch a snake, “It felt really weird and soft,” Thomas said.

“It wasn’t what I expected a snake would feel like at all because of their scales”.

People also got to experience and educate themselves about the wildlife that lives at the park including insects.

There was a butterfly tent that displayed hundreds of species that reside in the park. As well as a virtual reality tent that was designed to view the type of rock formations in the area, which many though was very interesting and cool.

The Kern Astronomical Society was present in the festival with their telescopes, for a viewing of the sun. Member, Gregg Pytlak mentioned that he went to Idaho to view the Solar Eclipse last August with a special telescope.

He assisted in showing visitors how to work a hydrogen alpha telescope so they can see the solar flares of the sun.

Guest were also able to enjoy the Meet-A-Mule event that allowed them to feed, pet, and even ride a mule for fun at the park.

Visitor Paul Rodriguez was there with his kids and was happy that they were able to feed the mules. “It’s great for my kids to be able to experience different things,” Rodriguez said.

The next event was the Guided Nature Hike, which was led by the park’s volunteers that showcased the different hiking trials at the preserve that many people walk on a weekly basis.

Visitors also got the opportunity to be a part of the restoration station, where guest can aid by planting trees to help restore the parks plants.

One of the final events was a movie shown to guest who wished to camp at the preserve, which took place in the San Emigdio Canyon at night under the stars.

The Nature Festival hopes to prompt more visitors to visit the Wind Wolves Preserve and help it maintain its natural environment.