Conference attendees include BC presence

Morgan Park, Reporter

Last Saturday saw the return of the Bakersfield Business Conference, a gathering of notable speakers from all over the country as well as businesses local to Kern County.

The conference boasted an impressive lineup of predominantly conservative speakers: including Ben Carson (who ran for president in this year’s Republican primary election), Rick Perry, Col. Allen West, Anne Romney, Kevin McCarthy, and Wayne LaPierre.

Also in attendance were stars from the court and screen like Diane Keaton, Vickie Lawrence, and Magic Johnson.

Bakersfield College student president Matt Frazer was also in attendance, as both a spectator and a volunteer for the event.

He has always wanted to go to the event, but has been held back by the high ticket prices in the past.

“I’ve really been enjoying it. There’s a lot of great speakers out there. I just heard Col. Allen West, and he’s an amazing speaker.”

Frazer also highlighted the talk given by Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Maricopa county.

“He’s amazing too. He’s definitely controversial, but he definitely brings a crowd and he’s definitely entertaining to listen to,” he said.

Shelley Shearer, 37, came to the event for the fun of it all, but also as a customer event for her water well rehabilitation business.

“I love it, it’s very inspirational. I’m doing it as a business incentive and I’ve also brought some friends.”

Shearer’s favorite part of the conference is the wide array of speakers that attend the event, with one specific one in mind.

“Anne Coulter is the one I’m looking forward to seeing.”

Aside from the speakers themselves, the conference also offered live entertainment all day at the Honky-Tonk stage.

Lou Marino, who played with the Tommy Hays band at the conference’s Honky-Tonk stage, wasn’t too interested in hearing the speakers.

“We’ve mostly just been listening to the other musicians,” he said with a laugh.

Tucked away in the corner of the conference was the Olympic tent, which featured some Olympians throughout the day for meet-and-greets and signings. Sharing space with the athletes was a makeshift sports tent, complete with big screen TVs airing the day’s games and a full service bar.