Former instructor Ingram remembered

Gaiana Latelers, Reporter

Raymond Ingram, who worked as a pastry chef and Bakersfield College culinary instructor, was remembered by friends and co-workers. Ingram was found shot dead in his home Feb. 22. Bakersfield police have arrested Michaele Bowers in the shooting. Ingram was the owner of Jay’s Place in northwest Bakersfield. Before then, he was a pastry chef at the Petroleum Club for 13 years.

“He was someone that you just enjoyed being around. You loved his energy and you loved his desserts even more,” said Desiree Lopez, Petroleum Club supervisor. “He loved what he did and you could tell.”

Those who knew him claimed he was a friend and someone you could count on and go to in times of need. A memorial was held at Jay’s Place where speaker Danielle Wright of Power of Prayer Radio talked about Ingram and his contributions to the local community. Ingram had partnered with the ministry for many of his fundraising events. Wright shared with the crowd how “Ray was a person of prayer.” Many friends, family and employees showed up to the service.

“Ray didn’t run it just as a restaurant, he ran it as a family,” Wright reminisced.

Khari Hairston-El, a culinary student at Bakersfield College who was mentored by Ingram, said, “He was a good man with a big heart who would help you achieve whatever you wanted.” Those who knew and worked for him had similar views of the former Bakersfield College culinary professor. Ingram also worked closely with chef Amanda Durst of the Bakersfield College culinary department where she teaches. Ingram was a head chef who mentored students in the department, mostly focusing on pastries. Most of his creations were his own adapted recipe, as seen at his restaurant.