Drunk driving issue in Bakersfield

Hope ShyAnne, Reporter

Last year there were over 314 DUI arrests in Bakersfield, according to Sergeant Nathan McCauley, the public information officer for the Bakersfield Police Department.

All of these numbers were made by 18 to 25-year-olds in Bakersfield, CA.

In the United States, in 2017, 30 people on average every day die in drunk-driving caused crashes. That is a death almost every 50 minutes.

College students dedicate their time to classes, homework, studying for tests and quizzes. Some may also work full or part-time. The pressure from one bad grade, a test grade or an essay grade is enough for a college student to feel a need to turn to alcohol or drugs for some type of relief.

In town, college students do not feel as if there is anything more entrancing to do rather than drink.

“I think drinking is the only activity people living in Bakersfield have,” said Nicholas King, a Bakersfield College student, commenting on things he’s noticed at school and off school.

These limited options make college students turn their attention to other remedies.

“Alcohol and drugs are the only things to do in town,” said Noah Aguilera, a 19-year-old graduate returning from UTI college.

Students tend to make bad choices when using or drugs to relieve their stress. Driving is included with these “fun activities.”

Last year 22-year-olds held the award for the most DUI charges, according to McCauley.

According to the American Journal of Epidemiology, there is no connection between Uber services and drunk driving decreasing.

Probation for up to five years, jail time, and a ticket up to $1000 are what college students can expect to receive alongside a DUI, according to An American Addiction Centers Resource (ACC).

As alcohol levels rise in a person’s system, the negative effects on the central nervous system increase.  This causes impaired vision and dizziness when you drive under the influence, states ACC.

Once getting pulled over all you need is to blow into the breathalyzer and get a 0.008% to get a DUI.

The police are able to send the report to your college and then you can lose your scholarship and in some cases be kicked out of college.

It also affects future careers that college students are trying to obtain such as being a lawyer or a nurse, according to the Bakersfield Law Offices of Kyle K. Humphrey.