Remembering Aaran Porter as a gentle giant

Bryana Lozoya, Digital Editor

Courtesy of West High School
A smiling Aaran Porter sharing his gratitude with citizens of Bakersfield.

Many described BC student and athlete Aaran Porter, who was killed last month, as a kind, helpful, and respectful person with high integrity, who was dedicated and motivated in his scholastic studies and sports.

Olivia Garcia, a history professor at Bakersfield College, had Porter as her student in the summer last year for her U.S. History class.

“Aaran was one of the nicest, kindest, and most respectful students I have ever met,” she said.

“Looking at him you would think ‘here’s this super tall athlete,’ and for a short teacher like me, you would think he’s a tough guy…When you get to know Aaran, he is so sweet, so kind.”

Porter was 18 years old when he died from stab wounds sustained after he attempted to break up a fight that took place between a family member and an unknown person in a parking lot on District Boulevard, according to reports.

The incident happened on Feb. 2 and he was taken to a local hospital for treatment, but later succumbed to his injuries Feb.11, nearly two weeks later.

When Garcia learned about his death, she said that it was very heartbreaking.

“One thing about a teacher is that whether you’re in a fast summer session or a longer fall or spring semester, we get to know our students,” Garcia said.

“We get to see how they grow and develop over time…but we also often learn new things from our students. I learned a lot from Aaran…”

Garcia talked about how important being an athlete was to him, but she also knew Porter took his schoolwork seriously.

“Students who take summer classes are dedicated, serious, and motivated,” she said.

“And he was all of those, he was very motivated to finish his course work and transfer on. He very much was a student that represented a good example of a model student for BC…”

West High School football coach Derrick Dunham knew Porter for four years and had him on his varsity team for two years.

Dunham described Porter as someone people looked up to, students and teachers alike.

Porter was in West’s AVID group, a mentoring program for other students who were younger.

He was also a part of the football club where they hosted several events for senior citizens from Rosewood, which Dunham described Porter as being very active in.

“He epitomized what our Viking pride was all about,” Dunham said.

“He was about the team; he put others before him, always. He always found a way to make other guys motivated to get better, whether by his actions or his words—which weren’t very loud words, but they were words that carried a lot,” Dunham said.

The football team at West are going to dedicate their next season to Porter by wearing stickers that commemorate him and not having anyone wear his jersey number.

Kiree Dukes was Porter’s cousin and someone who played football with him at West High School.

Upon learning about his cousin’s death, he was shocked and surprised about how it happened because he knew Porter as someone who “was always the good guy,” when it came to resolving issues.

He spoke about how Porter would always use his words to resolve issues in a mature manner.

“He wouldn’t put anybody down,” Dukes said.

“He was one of those people you needed in your life…he was there no matter what. He was that light shining in your life…”

Dukes spoke about how he and Porter would talk every day to see how each other was doing and visit one another at work.

They spoke about their futures and about college, and how Porter would visit his cousin when he went off to college.

“He was one of my best friends when it came down to it…” Dukes said.