Kern County Superintendent of Schools holds briefing about the coronavirus

Collin Koch, Reporter

The Kern County Superintendent of Schools held a briefing on March 16 about the coronavirus and how it has impacted the local schools in Kern County. All 47 districts in Kern County, besides Kern High School District, were all in attendance of the briefing.

Dr. Mary Barlow, the superintendent of Kern County schools, addressed the media on several topics regarding the coronavirus and how the 47 districts will handle the pandemic. 

Barlow also went over topics that Governor Newsom discussed on March 15, and if the direct quote of Newsom was the turning point for all of the 47 districts in Kern County to temporarily close its doors. 

“First of all, we want to assure all of our decisions have been, we are interested in the safety and security of the children and families of Kern County,” Barlow said. 

Dr. Barlow explained that all of the Kern County Schools will be suspending onsite instruction, no later than the end of the school day on March 18. This gives the schools time to communicate with students, parents and their staff on what will happen during this time. 

“Students would get instruction packets and have direction on how to access critical support services in accordance with the public health guidance on the plan to resume onsite instruction on April 14.” 

The districts are also looking into providing students with Canvas, which is a digital learning platform to develop high-quality digital lesson plans as a longer-term strategy. There were no solid answers on how to answer how students without internet or connectivity will be able to access, but they are working for solutions as time goes on.

“Fortunately, we do have a mechanism for when school’s out to be able to feed children. It happens to be the same mechanism that we use in the summer,” Chris Hall said.

All schools will be able to take part in the mechanism, so students in the community will be able to have meals during this time.

For all of the 47 districts, all staff is expected to return to their normal work hours. Staff that is 65 and older will be put on paid leave during this time for their safety.

Matthew Constantine, Director of Public Health, informed the media that there are still no cases in Kern County as of March 16. There have been 30 travelers and have been monitored under a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) program. 17 of them have either not needed to be monitored or have completed their 14-day monitoring period.

The superintendent of schools is, and will be, working closely with the Kern County public health department to make local decisions. Also, they will be adhering to all of the guidelines provided through the governor and the CDC, based on the needs of our local children.