President Trump extends social distancing

Collin Koch, Reporter

President Donald Trump announced on March 29 that the entire country will keep the social distancing practice until April 30. The social distancing guideline was supposed to end around Easter and return back to business as usual. The president’s decision on the extension was to help slow the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic that is affecting the country at a fast pace.

The social distancing guideline is for people to stay 6 feet apart from each other, which is aimed to prevent as many people as possible from getting the virus. The guideline also goes against the large group gatherings of 10 or more people.

No comments have been made by California state governor, Gavin Newsom directly about the extension on the social distancing as of March 30.

Kern County’s numbers are increasing of people affected by COVID-19 every day, there are 76 confirmed cases as of March 30. 

“My opinion [on social distancing] is that people should stay at home unless it is an absolute emergency such as a family member needing extra help being delivered supplies or essentials or going to the store if you absolutely need a specific item that would be identified as essential,” Gina Compton, a senior at Liberty High School, said. 

Essential businesses in Kern county are still open to the public, but it is encouraged to only go out if it is necessary. Non-essential businesses are still closed to help flatten the curve, even though it puts thousands of workers out of work.