BC hosts Jacky Alamillo to discuss potential job opportunities for students through Amazon

Hugo Maldonado Garcia, Reporter

Bakersfield College held an Amazon Recruitment Day webinar on Nov. 13 where representatives presented students with the fulfillment center warehouse in Bakersfield and the hiring process.
“Working for the Amazon Warehouse means employees are allowed to wear relaxed dress code to move around and feel comfortable while working. Any applicants must be able to lift up to 49-pounds, they must stand or walk for 4-10 hours of the day and may be asked to operate Powered Industrial Trucks according to proper training or the position,” said Jacky Alamillo, the Staffing Coordinator for Amazon.
Amazon has many opportunities for employees to grow.
“Amazon hourly associates are among those on the front line fulfilling customers’ online shopping orders and can enjoy opportunities to advance within the company and here’s what we look for, employees who demonstrate positive work attitude and leadership skills, those who demonstrate excellent job performance in productivity, quality, safety and attendance and employees who commit to a culture of safety,” Alamillo said.
Associates can also take advantage of Amazon programs like Career Choice, Career Skills, A2Tech, and more to help advance their careers both within the Amazon Company or beyond. Going into further detail about these programs like the Assciate2Tech. It is a program that provides fulfillment center associates the opportunity to move into technical roles, regardless of their previous IT experience, within Amazon’s operations network.
The Amazon Technical Academy is a training and job placement program that equips non-technical Amazon employees with the essential skills to transition into and thrive in software engineering careers. The Amazon Apprenticeship is a Department of Labor certified program that offers paid intensive classroom training.
“The Career Choice Program is Amazon’s tuition assistance program that pays for vocational certificate and 2-year degree programs in high demand fields. Those who are eligible are full-time and part-time hourly associates with one year of continuous employment and pre-payment of 95% of your tuition and fees, and reimbursement for 95% of the cost of required books,” Alamillo said.
Amazon is very competitive, and associates would get paid $15 to start. It is an around the clock job where various shifts are available for days and nights.
“It is extremely important to know that these are physical jobs and associates will be on their feet and moving a lot, but also depending on the building you might be placed in,” Alamillo said.” Working at Amazon is an active job and new applicants who apply would be applying for full-time and part-time seasonal positions but might be considered for full and regular positions based on the associate’s quality work ethic. The applicants would work only at the fulfillment center which is a giant warehouse that holds anything someone orders on Amazon.com and would include weekly pay.