Suicide Prevention Month

Breonna Zapiain, Reporter

September is National Suicide Prevention Month where all month mental health advocates, survivors, organizations, and communities come together to spread and promote suicide awareness. 

With suicide being the 10th leading cause of death in the United States, great efforts are made to provide resources and raise awareness to get those in need help.

This year World Suicide Prevention Day was Sept. 10, with National Suicide prevention week being Sept. 5 to Sept. 11. This time is used to remember those who have been affected by suicide and direct help towards those who need it. There are many resources for those who are struggling with their mental health and wish to seek help. 

According to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention,  “Suicide is related to brain functions that affect decision-making and behavioral control, making it difficult for people to find positive solutions” and “Specific treatments used by mental health professionals — such as Cognitive Behavior Therapy-SP and Dialectical Behavior Therapy — have been proven to help people manage their suicidal ideation and behavior.” Those who tend to seek help can receive treatment and go on to engage in life beyond the restraints of their mental health struggles. 

Students enrolled at Bakersfield College have resources available to them to get help and reach out when needed. According to the BC website, “The BC Mental Health Providers are still available for all enrolled students to make personal and confidential virtual appointments. We even do appointments on the weekend.” Those who wish to use these services are encouraged to call 661-395-4336 or email [email protected]

Also on the BC website are available local community resources. Kern Behavioral Health & Recovery Services offers a 24-hour Crisis hotline “which will remain fully staffed and operational at 1-800-991-5272 to help residents work through any anxiety and uncertainty they may be experiencing during this time,” the BC website states. Additionally, there is the free National Suicide Prevention Lifeline that is available 24/7 at 800-273-8255 in English and 888-628-9454 in Spanish. Those who are struggling or have loved ones who are struggling with thoughts of suicide are encouraged to reach out to these lifelines for support.