BC in-person commencement ceremony returns

Anthony Vasquez, Reporter

Bakersfield College has officially set the decision to make the 2022 graduation ceremony in person. After two years of holding the ceremony online due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Bakersfield College will finally welcome upcoming graduates and their families to the ceremony, which will now be held at the Memorial Stadium on May 12, 2022. 

After the news of the ceremony being set to return as an in-person event, there have been several questions. Monika Scott, who is the director of marketing and communications in the marketing and public relations department, was able to answer some of the questions that many have been asking. 

Towards the question regarding why is the ceremony planned to be held at the football stadium rather than the Mechanics Bank Arena, like in the past, Scott stated, “Bakersfield College’s commencement ceremony is traditionally held at Memorial Stadium and was only paused in 2019 due to renovations and construction taking place in the stadium, thanks to funding secured by Measure J. The two years following had been switched to virtual and televised ceremonies due to COVID, but we are so excited to be welcoming graduates and their families back to Memorial Stadium for this year’s celebration.” 

Many have also been wondering if people are going to receive links for a virtual livestream of the commencement, and how many tickets are going to be planned to be given for each family. Scott suggested, “Information to reserve tickets will be provided to graduates once the process has been finalized. Graduates and those who have submitted a graduation petition should check their BC emails for information when it is distributed.”

More information regarding the commencement can be found on Bakersfield College’s website online. Through the website, students can view how to apply for graduation, eligibility, requirements, guest tickets, and registration towards participating. It is also mentioned that students will also have to check-in at the ceremony at 5:00 pm. Guest information, parking information, prohibited items at the commencement, commencement tips, and information about graduating with honors are also provided through the website.