Logic’s sophomore album drops with success

Jacob Tovar, Reporter

New artists come across obstacles after signing on to these major record labels. The creating of a debut album that sparks a flame but has enough firepower to call for a second or sophomore album is the big obstacle.

Fluent hip-hop head and Maryland native Logic released his sophomore album, The Incredible True Story, on Nov. 13. After a week went by, Logic and his team sold around 135,000 copies.

Quentin Thomas and William Kai narrate the Incredible True Story on their fictional journey along the Aquarius 3, in route to a planet called paradise.

Inside the Aquarius 3 is a program system that guides them through space. Her name is Thalia. Thalia appears periodically in the album. The story takes place 100 years into the future, 2115.

The journey starts out with the first song, or instrumental, “Connect.” Connect puts you in the drivers seat of the Aquarius 3. It paints a picture for the listener for preparing for takeoff and finally traveling into space.

Logic hits you with the third single on the album both written and produced by Logic himself, “Fade Away.” Logic talks about how “They gon’ know my name until it fade away.”

While the setting of the story is 100 years into the future, he is implying that his name is still relevant and has not faded away yet. As Logic still understands the only thing given in life is death, it is just a matter of time that his name will fade away but he intends to make his mark in the hip hop industry.

The second single “Like Woah,” off of The Incredible True Story, has an artistic feel to it. Produced by Logic and his in house producer, 6ix, Logic raps about how he feels like a postman sending out letters to his fans. Being pretty active on social media, especially twitter, Logic tries to reply to every fan and implies he cares more about the art and his fans rather than the money and fame.

His first single off the album, “Young Jesus” is a raw 90’s hip-hop track compared to the others. With Wu-Tang, Big L and, Mobb Deep influences, this track stands out from the rest and puts you in a 90’s hip-hop state.

As the journey continues, one of the more popular tracks, “Lord Willin’,” has an easy listening feel to it. Logic states many times he preaches: peace, love and, positivity. Despite this, he understands that life and everything it has to offer is not under his control, and Lord willing he makes a difference in a positive way.

On the next track, “City of Stars,” Logic creates a different sound than the rest of the album. Along with auto tune, he comes off more of a singer than rapper. This song is meant to have any meaning the listener wants it to have. “My life was fine just fine way back before you. Now when you reach out, I just ignore you.” Being in Logic’s place, he paints a breakup of him and a woman who he personates as hip-hop.  As the beat transforms to the second half of the song, Logic blows some steam off his chest calling out his record label, Def Jam “Much love to Def Jam even though they under shipped me.” This referred to his first album Under Pressure where some fans utilized Twitter and mentioned the major retailers didn’t carry the album.

Toward the end of the album, “Never Been” explains how he doesn’t care about all the people who talk down on him and hate on him. He’s working like he hasn’t before to become successful.

The last track on the album sums up the journey of Thomas and Kai and their journey to paradise. During this track is a sample from Allen Watts’ famous speech “Do You Do it, or Does It Do You?” where he mentions “Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way.” At the end of the song Thomas and Kai reach the planet Paradise by a countdown to touchdown by Thalia.

The True Incredible Story is an in depth story with science fiction roots and hip-hop flows. If you’re reading this and looking for a mainstream artist, Logic is not for you.