New minimum wage increase is really unnecessary

Marcus Castro, Contributing Editor

California Gov. Jerry Brown approved minimum wage’s raise to $15 an hour on April 4, and it will become effective in 2020.

To be honest, I think that minimum wage shouldn’t be raised to that amount.

I feel that if you are a person who doesn’t play an integral role in a workplace such as fast food, you don’t deserve to get paid as high as $15 an hour.

Now if you’re a manager of the place you work at and have many duties, then I can see where you may deserve to be paid $15 an hour.

One problem I see coming out of this is the products that we all purchase constantly are going to rise in price. With the businesses having to pay their employees more, they will have to balance the higher pay with increase in their prices. What will help individuals who get paid minimum wage will negatively affect everyone else in the work field.

I get paid $16.35 an hour, which is not much more than the minimum wage increase. So the price increases for products will greatly affect me, as I will no longer be making what is a decent pay for a young college student.

Another problem that I think may unfold from this minimum wage increase is the loss of small businesses.

Many small businesses struggle to stay in business because many of the owners are regular people who make a regular amount of money. Small business owners will now have to pay a much heftier amount of money to their workers.

Some of these workers they are going to have to pay much more may even just be a drive-thru operator or a person who only answers phones. Going back to what I was saying earlier, I don’t think it’s fair for struggling small business owners to have to pay a worker who truly doesn’t have a real important role in the workplace $15 an hour.

Being a little selfish, I feel that if so many people are struggling because of the minimum wage, they should try to move up the chain where they are at or try there hardest to move onto a better paying job. Going to school can help people find better jobs, or learning a skill or trade can help someone find a better job as well. Both of these routes can lead to a lifelong career.

I know many people that are currently struggling at their minimum wage jobs while they go to school, but I don’t hear them complaining about it because they know that’s just part of what they got to do to get where they want to be.

Another fix, maybe a far-fetched one, is the opposite of increasing pay. Decreasing the price of the products people buy, such as groceries, toilet paper, water, and other necessities, can help people that get paid minimum wage make a living.

This would allow for people to make it through everyday life much easier, and it would make it easier for people who want to move up in the work world but are currently at school or taking time to learn a specific skill to increase their marketing in a specific field of work.

To close this out, the minimum wage increase, in my opinion, is not necessary at all, but maybe by 2020, when it becomes effective, it will make more sense. We’ll just have to wait and see.