Bruno Mars performance has ‘no comparison’

Jenny Brito, Reporter

The first time I listened to “Nothing on You,” by Bruno Mars, I knew I would be a lifelong fan. In addition to his voice that has no comparison, his moves remind me of Michael Jackson. So, when my friend asked me if I wanted to go to his concert, I didn’t think twice.

On Nov. 2, I traveled to Fresno for the 24K Magic World Tour. The show was scheduled for 8 p.m. at the Save Mart Center. To be honest, I did not expect much from the venue considering that it is Fresno, but I was wrong. Its location makes it an excellent choice, there is plenty of parking, and it can hold up to 16,000 people.

Mars had canceled a concert in Denver earlier in the week due to a sinus infection, and I was worried that he would cancel again. I realized that a thousand others would be disappointed as well after I arrived at the location and saw the long lines hours before the event started.

Waiting in line was an experience itself. People of all ages were in attendance, which was a pleasant surprise considering my own age. They danced to music played by a local radio station and anxiously waited to get in. Doors opened at 6:30 p.m., which gave everyone about an hour and a half to mingle and spend money.

There were plenty of options for those who wanted to grab a bite, and alcoholic beverages ranged from beers to frozen margaritas. I bought a pina colada and headed to the merchandise booth. They were selling posters, CDs, jackets, shirts, jerseys, and even underwear with Bruno Mars’ face on them. Although everything was beautiful, it was a bit too expensive for a broke college student like myself. The cheapest t-shirt was $40, and it was not anything special, but, yes, I bought it.

After spending money on a t-shirt that I will probably never wear, I went inside and quickly found my seat. The stadium was a bit empty, but that changed once the opening act began. Jorja Smith opened for Bruno Mars, and her voice was delightful. She sounded like a younger version of Rihanna, with song lyrics that seemed to appeal to a more diverse audience. She played about ten songs, which made many of us a bit impatient. People wanted to see Bruno Mars, and it was taking longer than expected.

At 9:30 p.m., Mars hit the stage, starting off the show with “24K Magic,” one of the nine songs off his latest album. People were ecstatic, and it was hard to focus on him with all the screaming and singing going on around me.

Mars sang everything off his “24K Magic” album. He sang beautifully despite having been ill in recent days, and his voice was much better and stronger than in the recorded versions.

He also performed songs from his previous albums including “Treasure,” “Just The Way You Are,” and “When I Was Your Man.” The last song was a particularly emotional one, and the singer had to pause several times to regain composure. This made the performance much more powerful.

It is difficult to decide what was more impressive, the music or the dancing. Mars is an excellent dancer, which was evidenced by how he smoothly glided across the stage. His best friends and bandmates, the Hooligans, also helped make the show much more energetic. They danced, jumped, and interacted with the audience often.

As for the production of the show, Mars and his team have no comparison. They wowed the public with brightly colored visuals and moving stage elements. There were firecrackers, pyrotechnics, strobe lights, and laser effects synchronized to the beats. The whole thing felt like a huge music video, and the audience was loving it.

The encore of Mars’ “Uptown Funk” concluded the show, and the audience was showered with gold confetti. Soon after, people seemed to forget that merchandise was expensive and fought each other to purchase whatever was left that would remind them of that magical night.