BC wrestlers trying to find winning way

Back to Article
Back to Article

BC wrestlers trying to find winning way

Alisia Sanchez

Alisia Sanchez

Alisia Sanchez

Gregory Pagela rides his West Hills College opponent at the Gil Bishop gymnasium at BC.

Mohamed Bafakih, Reporter

With an extra week to prepare for West Hills College due to the cancellation of the Sept. 12 dual between the Renegades and the Rams of Victor Valley, the Bakersfield College wrestling team had their eyes set on making a statement to open up their season here at home.

Unfortunately because of guys missing their weight class, the Renegades automatically faced a 12-point deficit in this past Saturday’s dual vs. West Hills, which led to their 19-26 loss to the Rams.

Undoubtedly, the tough cast didn’t mind moving up weight classes.

“We had about 4-to-5 guys who went up one, and even two weight classes. Jack [Murphy] for instance wrestles at 197[lbs.], but was bumped up to 275[lbs.] and did well wrestling 30-40lbs. over his weight, ” says grappling specialist coach Joe Espejo.

The Renegade wrestlers spent this past Saturday at the Mt. Sac Dual Tournament with a chance to regroup and “get back to the winning style we’ve had in the past” as Espejo mentioned.

Bakersfield finished their pool in third place out of five with a 2-2 record. Palomar went on to remain undefeated throughout the day with a 4-0 record and rights to Pool A champions.

“We have minor technique readjustments that need to be touched on, but guys are buying into our program under their first-year head coach [Brett Clark],” Espejo adds.

Bakersfield College will host their annual Bakersfield Renegades Duals all day Saturday (9/27) at the Gil Bishop Gymnasium with a chance to defend their mats.

About the Writer
Mohamed Bafakih, Contributing Editor

Mohamed is a contributing editor on The Rip this semester. A broadcast journalism major, his past duties have included: sports reporter, sports editor,...