Womens soccer looks to stay hot

Mohamed Bafakih, Reporter

Finishing out the last two games of a nine-game road trip, the Bakersfield College women’s soccer team scored just one goal in each of those two games, winning one and tying in the other.

Eeking out a 1-0 victory against Glendale College, forward Danielle Vargas scored the first and only goal of the game in the third minute.

The defense held their ground allowing zero shot attempts and zero shots on goal.

Although it may not have the prettiest victory, the Renegades came out with the result they were looking for down in Glendale, even without their attacker Victoria Pyle – who sustained a mild concussion early in the week.

Coach Scott Dameron kept stressing on the importance of finding better looks.

“We need to create more goal-scoring opportunities and play better,” he said.

The Renegades next test was back down in Los Angeles again, this time to face West L.A. College (3-5).

The game didn’t pick up until late in the first half when Pyle, who was back from missing one game, scored an unassisted goal in the 32nd minute to give the Renegades the lead.

West L.A. capitalized shortly after in the 39th minute, as Stephanie Banuelos knotted the game at 1 apiece on a penalty kick attempt.

“The penalty was questionable, but they called it,” Dameron recalled.

Going into Tuesday’s first home game of the season vs. Antelope Valley, the Renegades are looking to build off an overall record of 5-1-2 and a 1-0-1 conference record.

About the Writer
Mohamed Bafakih, Contributing Editor

Mohamed is a contributing editor on The Rip this semester. A broadcast journalism major, his past duties have included: sports reporter, sports editor,...