BC baseball falls short of a postseason bid

Elias C. Ahumada

Bakersfield College center fielder Hanz Harker slides home after a double by first baseman Zach Tanner on April 14.

Mohamed Bafakih, Sports Editor

It’s nearing the end of another tough, long season for Bakersfield College baseball, as they’ll miss the playoffs for a second consecutive season.

Consistency was needed in the final month, but the Renegades (14-19 overall, 8-10 WSC South) have gone 4-4 prior to Tuesday’s matchup at home vs. Canyons in April.

“Regardless of where you’re going to end up, the worst thing you can do is throw in the towel and say, ‘well, lets wait till next year,’” head coach Tim Painton said. “You still continue to work and strive.”

Although BC has won three of their last four games, they lost a crucial one to a struggling West L.A. team (6-27, 2-16 WSC South) 12-4 on April 16 after defeating them just two days before, 9-5.

That loss played a factor because if the Renegades had won, they would have been in the conversation for playoffs.

West L.A. gave up just seven hits to BC, while offensively, the Wildcats scored four runs apiece in the bottom of the fourth and bottom of the eighth on 21 hits to give them their second conference win.

Luckily for Bakersfield, they managed to bounce back against Canyons (17-16, 9-9 WSC South) on April 18 by defeating the Cougars 8-4.

Sophomore right-hander Allan Winans (3-5) pitched a full game giving up seven hits while striking out seven batters, bringing his total to 75 on the season (tied for fourth in state).

It was a better offensive showing for the Renegades as well.

Freshman’s Brooks Douglass and Hanz Harker led the way along with sophomore Eddie Torres, as Douglass went 2-for-5 with two runs and one RBI, Harker going 3-for-4 with one run and one RBI, and Torres with three runs, three hits and an RBI on 3-for-5 at-bats.

The season will conclude here at home this week as BC will host L.A. Valley (18-14-1, 11-7 WSC South) on April 23 and 24 at 3 p.m.