BC volleyball team is staying amid WSC standings

Carl E. Littleberry Jr., Reporter

The Bakersfield College women’s volleyball team returned home on Oct. 14 to face Antelope Valley College in a Western State Conference Southern Division matchup. The team was coming off a recent 3-1 loss to Santa Monica College in a match where each of the four sets were decided by two or three points.

After winning the first set 25-23, BC lost the next three sets with scores of 25-23, 25-23, and 26-23. The loss ended BC’s three-match win streak and dropped them to a .500 record on the season at 8-8 overall and 1-1 in conference play.

Returning home to Gil Bishop Sports Center to face Antelope Valley College, BC (9-8 overall, 2-1 WSC-South) easily shook off its defeat to SMC, sweeping AVC (5-9, 1-3) in straights sets to win the match 3-0.

BC took advantage early, capitalizing on 10 Marauders’ errors in the first set alone. Setting an early precedent for defense, BC finished with 19 total digs in the set.

That number accounted for nearly half of the teams total for the day as the team finished with 48 total digs for the match with sophomore libero Lorena Ramirez and defensive specialist Hannah Pope leading the defense with 18 for Ramirez and eight for Pope.

After trailing early in the first set, BC used strong defense and eight aces to smother the Marauders, forcing 31 total errors and never allowing the Marauders to come within seven points, the BC team went on sweep the rest of the match with scores of 25-16 and 25-14, thoroughly dominating AVC in both sets.

The offense for BC however never really got on track, scoring 37 kills as a team, its lowest scoring output since Sept.12 at Grossmont where the team totaled 28. State-leader in total kills and attacks at the net Daryan Heathcott ended the day with 11 kills and four aces to finish with 15 points. Heathcott also ranks third among total points and points per set.

The team used a more balanced offensive approach, which proved to be the difference-maker as BC had four players with at least four kills and three with at least five.

BC was expected to host West L.A. on Oct.16, but the game was postponed and will be played on Oct. 26. The Renegades will then continue conference play on Oct. 23 at Citrus College in Glendora and are scheduled to return home on Oct. 30 to face Santa Monica.