BC men’s soccer recap vs COS

Hilario Gomez/The Rip

Aug 31 Bakersfield College center midfielder Anthony Miron (10) slides and makes contact with the ball near midfield in the first half.

Hilario Gomez, Reporter

The Bakersfield College men’s soccer team headed up to Visalia for their season opener against the College of the Sequoias Giants on Friday, Aug 27. Head Coach Vayron Martinez was available for comment before the game and detailed the expectations and struggles he sees in this upcoming season.

“We have a positive outlook for this upcoming season. The boys have been working extremely hard this summer and have had a good preseason so far. There’s a lot of excitement to compete and represent the institution. I think that due to us not having a season in 2020 and then just playing a few games in the spring it has given a lot of motivation to our returning group and they are instilling that into the freshman” Coach Martinez said.

He explained how expectations are high, with hopes to compete for another conference title and make a run into the postseason and how he emphasizes following COVID-19 protocols to protect his team and their season.

The game ended up in a tie 0-0 between the two teams with the Renegades showing promise with a very aggressive and energetic performance. Players such as Anthony Miron took multiple decisive shots that sadly failed to hit their mark. The Renegades seek a different result in their home opener against Fullerton College next Tuesday.