BC routs Allan Hancock in shortened game, enter playoffs as conference champions

Justin White/The Rip

The 2022 Bakersfield College Renegades softball team.

Justin White, Sports Editor

Bakersfield College softball ended their season on a high note when they defeated Allan Hancock 10-0 after 5 innings.

The scoring got started in the bottom of the first inning when designated player Kady Smith drove in second baseman Rylee Price with a double, taking an early 1-0 lead.

Star pitcher Talia Nielsen put her hitting skills on display in the second when she drove in two runs with a double. 

In the bottom of the third, Smith blasted a 2-run home run to left field to extend BC’s lead to 5-0. In the 4th, shortstop Shelbie Valencia drove in center fielder Kylie Havens and Price drove in Valencia to make it 7-0.

The game ended in the bottom of the 5th, when Havens hit a ball along the right field foul line that just managed to stay fair, driving in 2 on the bases. Havens then showed off her speed taking it all the way home for an inside-the-park home run. Due to the mercy rules which state the game can end if a team is up by 8 runs after 5 innings, the game ended there, akin to a walk-off.

Earlier in the day, head coach Casandra Goodman earned her 100th win as BC’s head coach after defeating Southwestern 8-0.

“I’ve had the privilege to coach a lot of student athletes in those 100 wins, and it’s just a testament to the dedication and hard work those players put into our program,” Goodman said on reaching the milestone. “It’s a great milestone, but it’s also one I share with those players and my coaching staff.”

Before the game, BC softball’s sophomores were honored for their contributions to the team, as their future educational pursuits were also announced to the crowd.

“Those four players are extremely special and a huge part of our success this year,” Goodman said about the departing sophomores. “Each one of them have contributed in a huge way for our program… they will be greatly missed and always have a place in BC Softball history.”

On the first weekend of May, BC softball will play their first postseason matchup, against a pending opponent. Earlier this month, BC secured a WSC-South Conference title, and now have the chance to host a playoff game.

On their postseason appearance, Goodman stated, “This team is excited for the opportunity to play post season. It was a goal of theirs to win a conference championship… it’s an exciting opportunity and they are ready to go.”

Many Renegades finished at the top or near the top of the statistical leaderboards to close out the season. Pitcher Talia Nielsen led the WSC in wins and was second in ERA, with 25 and 1.29 respectively. Her 276 strikeouts also led the WSC, topping the next closest leader by more than 100 strikeouts.

Listed as a pitcher on the Go Gades website, Kady Smith was tied for first in home runs with 10, and led the conference in runs batted in with 47. Outfielder Kylie Havens was tied for second in the conference for stolen bases with 20, and infielder Rylee Price was third in batting average, hitting .444 on the season.

With the victory, the Renegades close out the regular season as conference champions with a strong 34-6 record, and look to be serious contenders for the state title heading into the playoffs.