Renegade Struggles: Christiana Livingston

Christopher Cocay

Christiana Livingston reads the novel “Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe” written by Benjamin Alire Saenz.

Christopher Cocay, Reporter

Christiana Livingston, 22, grew up in a religious family where she was home-schooled, and now she is a major in English at Bakersfield College.

Livingston is the oldest of five children. She was born in Oakland, and her family is part of a ministry where they talked about Christianity on the streets of San Francisco and Berkeley.

She said her family lived in a ministry house for nine years.

They moved to Bakersfield when she was 10.

She said “I don’t like that it’s so hot, and I don’t like how the air is bad here in Bakersfield, but I’ve met some really good people and they have some really cool stories here. But unlike Bakersfield, Oakland had a perfect weather, it’s like 75 everyday all day, all year.”

Livingston loves to read books, draw, read poems and listen to music. She said that she wants to be a writer someday. That’s why she’s majoring in English. Her favorite book is “IT” written by Stephen King.

She also plans on double majoring in English and History. She said “I love History because it studies about everything that happened, it shows how people have always been funny and violent, and horrible. History is really really funny, and really really violent and sad, and there’s so many secrets that we don’t know about, and it’s really cool to see how everything is connected.”

When asked about her struggles with school, Livingston said she’s not really good with doing her homework, she always wait until last minute to do all of her homework.

“I usually do homework the day before it’s due or sometimes in class. I am a procrastinator. I always think of other things that I could be doing, and I also work better under pressure, so sometimes I wait purposely until the last minute, so that I could do better, but, I know that if I actually applied myself, I’ll probably do better a lot than I am doing even though I do pretty good in my classes anyway. I know how to be stable with my classes, but I don’t really know how to do my best,” said Livingston.

She also mentioned about her struggles with family and friends, “Being the oldest child is difficult because you’re the one that everyone looks up to, and your parents sometimes use you as a guinea pig, they test things on you like you can’t do other things, and you have to wait till you get old to do something, and the younger kids are allowed to do the things you aren’t allowed to do, so it’s kind of hard to deal with that, with all the expectations, and as I’m getting older and still living in my parent’s house, it’s difficult. But with friends, I didn’t really have a lot of struggles, but when I was in high school, I didn’t have a lot of friends. It’s not because I was home-schooled, it’s because I wasn’t really being friendly, and I was really shy,” she said.

Livingston said she deals with her problems by being content with wherever she is right now whenever she has a problem.

“When I have a problem, I’ll think that it’s not that a big of a problem, sometimes, I ignore my problems until I don’t think of it as a problem anymore, or sometimes, I try to resolve it the best way I can,” she said.