View All
Voices through art

Transfer Celebration

May 8, 2024

BC’s 110 Commencement preview

May 8, 2024

View All
BC Swim Conference and State Championships
BC baseball ends their regular season

BC baseball ends their regular season

April 29, 2024

UFC 300

April 15, 2024

View All
Archives

California Community Colleges host Student Media Teleconference

A second virtual student media teleconference of 2024 was hosted by California Community Colleges Chancellor Sonya Christian via Zoom on April 23rd.

Chancellor Christian provided updates on important topics such as Black Student Success Week, mental health support, Asian American Hawaiian Pacific Islander Month, upcoming enrollment, student awards, and state budget speculations.

Student viewers were also welcomed to ask questions and encouraged to participate in all discussed activities.

California Community Colleges (CCC) stated they honor and acknowledge that 116 campuses throughout California are located in unceded territories of 109 federally recognized Tribes that seek recognition.

CCC also introduced upcoming events highlighting students of color and cultures.

Black Student Success Week will host a Cash for College Workshop to help students with the new 2024-25 FASFA/CADAA.

May will be AAPI Heritage Month celebrating students along with also being Mental Health Awareness Month.

To support healthy minds and ongoing success, everyone is informed to text HOME to 741741 you are going through any mental health challenges and need to connect with a volunteer crisis counselor.

Chancellor Christian also encouraged viewers to tune into the podcast, “Educate Elevate Podcast” that speaks on dual enrollment, future registration, and educational topics.

Another important topic was the State Budget Update. Chancellor Christian shared that the budget is dedicated to helping students with disabilities and it might also form a statewide mental health bond along with an education facilities bond if approved.

The State Budget’s additional income of $128.2 billion created by CCC is equal to approximately 4.2% of California’s total gross state product.

Student Leadership Awardees were also recognized for their hard work and dedication within the CCC.

CCC also announced an upcoming professional baseball event partnered with The San Francisco Giants on Monday, May 13, 2024, at Oracle Park against the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Discounted tickets will be available to the first 900 people who register here, before April 29. A portion of the event’s profits will be donated to the CCC’s Scholarships and Emergency Assistance Fund.

Paul Feist of Cal Matters also invited the public to attend a Cal Matters Ideas Festival held on June 5-6, 2024. The event will supply professional development and networking opportunities along with funding student journalists’ lodging and transportation.

Chancellor Christian closed with a statement stating, “I wish everyone the best to your finals, tons of good luck, and grind as you complete your semesters.”