Drag queens fight for the crown

Crystal Valdez, Features Editor

Drag queens from all over California gathered at the Bakersfield Gay and Lesbian Center for the preliminary Miss Gay Goddess USofA Newcomer 2016 Pageant. The event took place from 9-11 p.m. on Feb. 25.

The Miss Gay Goddess Pageant is an annual drag competition, and it was the first time this preliminary stage took place at the center. It consists of a private interview, a nightgown section, and a talent section.

The center was full of people 18 and older waiting to see the competitors strut their stuff. Seating was limited, and nearly half of the audience had to either stand or sit on the floor throughout the show.

Makena Moore and Tatiana Allende were the two preliminary competitors who faced off that night.

By day, Tatiana is BC mathematics major Martin Preciado. Tatiana spoke to The Rip and shared her past experience as a competitor. This was her second year competing for the Miss Gay Goddess USofA Newcomer title.

“You put a lot of passion into it, but it’s a fun experience, regardless of the outcome,” said Tatiana.

Also at the event was Miss Gay California USofA Newcomer 2015, Majesty Moore Whitney, who was there to pass down her title.

Majesty was the previous winner. She said she was happy to be at the event, but also sad because her reign was coming to an end.

Majesty won after her third attempt. According to Majesty, a competitor is no longer able to compete in this pageant after three tries.

“It’s kind of bittersweet. It’s like your last day of high school. As soon as it’s over, it’s like, wait, what do I do now?” said Majesty.

Majesty plans to take a hiatus from pageant shows to travel and to focus on her relationship.

“I’m really excited that I got this opportunity and that I could show everybody how much hard work I can do. I’m ready for the next step in my life. I appreciate the system, and I can’t wait to see who the next winner is,” Majesty said.

The show began and was hosted by master of ceremonies Mia Inez Adams (who was also dressed in drag).

The event featured performances by the master of ceremonies, Majesty, Tia Wanna, Ka’Aliyah McKim Diamond, and many other former and current competitors.

By the end of the night, Makena Moore was crowned Miss Gay California USofA Newcomer 2016.