I had a cool time ice skating and falling at the Ice Center

Christopher Cocay smiles at the camera as he ties his shoelaces tighter after taking a fall when his rented ice skating shoes loosened while ice skating on the local ice rink at the Bakersfield Ice Sports Center on Oct. 23.

Melissa Puryear

Melissa Puryear

Christopher Cocay, Reporter

I really love skating, I started skating when I was 7, I had my own roller skates and it took me a week to learn how to use the skating shoes as far I remember. In January of 2017, I had a thought of wanting to skate again, then visited the place and I skated for the first time in 14 years, it was at Brimhall Rd. (Rollerama Roller Rinks) I started skating there every once a week.

Just when I thought I was good at skating, I decided to ice skate, because I feel like a pro when using roller skates.

I thought it would be just as easy, but ice skating is ten times more difficult than using roller skates, it was my first time ice skating, I came in unprepared at Bakersfield Ice Sports Center.

When I got at the ice skating rink, I felt really cold, it was like I was inside a huge fridge, because I thought it was just a normal skating center. I did not bring any protection gear. I couldn’t move evenly when I was at the rink because I thought if I made a single wrong move, I would get hurt, plus, the skating shoes were kind of uncomfortable because I wasn’t used to wearing those kind of shoes.

I was so scared and excited at the same time because it was something new for me, something I’ve never done. When I was a little kid, I used to watch “Disney on Ice” shows, and the thing that pushed me to do ice skating was the “High School Musical on Ice”.

I thought I could do the stunts that I saw on that ice show once I’m on the rink, but I couldn’t. I did not even want to move when I was on the rink. The thought of leaving crossed my mind, but I also remembered that I paid $11 just to do ice skating, so instead of thinking that it was too difficult to skate on ice, I challenged myself to learn how to do it by taking step by steps.

What I did was watch the other ice skaters and I imitated what they were doing. And when I felt that I was getting better, I pushed myself to be fast, and I ended up slipping on the floor, I was completely shocked.

Melissa Puryear
Christopher Cocay steadies himself with his hands as he crawls to the sidelines so he can get back on his feet after a fall resulting in his loose laces made him land painfully on his knees at the ice rink in the Bakersfield Ice Sports Center.

I even felt a massive pain on my hands, not just that, my back got hurt. I realized that I did not tightened my shoe laces, so I took a break, tightened my laces, and went back to the rink as if I did not fall.

Even though my feet were in pain, I continued skating, it was somewhat fun and scary at the same time. I spoke with one of the instructors of the ice center, and I asked them if I they teach ice skating lessons, and she said they do.

I’m interested in taking ice skating classes because I want to be good at doing it, I want to be a professional ice skater like the people I see on TV or the “High School Musical On Ice” performers.

I took a lot of selfies using my front camera on my phone, and I also bothered the other skaters to take pictures of me, I was that excited. I could not wait to show my pictures to my friends and ask them to skate with me in the future.

Around 3:10 p.m., the skating rink turned slippery, I felt uncomfortable and did not want to skate anymore because I did not want to get hurt again, once is enough.

I stopped staking, since the place would close at 3:30 p.m. anyway.

I went to my car and my whole body was in pain from the fall that I suffered. I had a bad headache because of the cold temperature.

I’m pretty sure it was brain freeze. Like the kind you get from drinking a milkshake too fast, I couldn’t even notice my feet’s discomfort because of the whole body pain.

I took two ibuprofens and rested in my car for few minutes. It was exhausting, but I really want to do it again.

It is something I recommend to people who love to skate, but I would first recommend, that they should take classes before doing it.

When I got home, I was still having body pain. The ibuprofen did not fully kick in. I checked my phone and I looked at the selfies that I took one by one, I deleted the ugly shots of course and I saved the decent ones.

I realized that I really had fun even though I ended up getting hurt and having body pain, I literally took a lot of selfies which I don’t usually do. And I plan on getting my own ice skates soon so I do not have to rent shoes when I go back.