BC’s Orchestra performs seasonal concert

Katalina Quintanilla, Reporter

Bakersfield College’s Concert Band and Orchestra came together to perform their seasonal “Fall for Music” concert at the Edward Simsonsen Performing Arts Center (PAC) on Oct. 19.
The objective of the night was to get the audience to tap their feet, bob their head, and feel the music come from the instruments. Music professor and conductor Kathryn Kuby wanted to share the ecstatic feeling and movement of each composition that was going to be performed.
“Music is way to heal us, to heal our souls in ways that nothing can,” Kuby said.

Katalina Quintanilla
Bakersfield College’s Orchestra performing “Overture to The Marriage of Figaro” by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart at the Edward Simonsen Performing Arts Center on Oct. 19.

The program started with the Concert Band playing an uplifting piece by composer David R. Holsinger, titled “The Gathering of the Ranks at Hebron.” The up-tempo of the piece provided the audience with a sense of accomplishment and success. Audience member’s reactions to the diversity of beats created by the many instruments up on stage turned the PAC environment from calm to uplifting.
The Concert Band proceeded with two more compositions following the theme of happiness and achievement. Shortly after, BC’s Orchestra followed and performed three pieces, providing a variety of different operas.
The Orchestra performed Gioachino Rossini’s “Williams Tell Overture,” surprising the audience with taste of nostalgia.

Katalina Quintanilla
Music professor Kathryn Kuby conducting Concert Band and Orchestra while performing “On Top of the World” by Brian Balmages.

“Some parts of it may sound familiar to you. Some may have heard snippets from Bugs Bunny or Looney Toons,” Kuby said.
Midway through the piece the famous French horn part of the overture is revealed with ooos and awes from the audience members. The references from childhood cartoons set the mood and gave the audience reassuring smiles.
As a special part of the program, both Concert Band and Orchestra performed together collaborating with the title “On Top of the World” by composer Brian Balmages.
With the different mixtures of instruments, the last piece of the program summed up the experience Kuby was hoping for. The PAC was filled with smiling faces and hoorays from family and friends of the band members.
“The music we played tonight I hope either uplifted you or soothed you or made you feel like a better person at the end of the night,” Kuby said.