California Governor Gavin Newsom announces 2019-20 budget proposal

Rosa Salazar, Copy Editor

At the beginning of his first year as governor of California, Gavin Newsom proposed a 2019-20 $209 billion-dollar state budget named “California for All” to increase spending on various programs including education, housing, and healthcare.

Newsom’s budget proposal was announced to the legislature on Jan.10, and called for an increase in taxes to pay $13.6 billion of the state’s debt and also increase the reserve fund.

Additionally, the budget would call for more money to be spent on special needs education, college scholarships, paid parental leave, a double increase on a tax credit for working families and literacy training for inmates in state prisons.

Newsom believes the budget is an important step to achieve what he calls “the California Dream.”

“During my inaugural speech, I described the California Dream as a house we are building together,” Newsom explained.

“That wasn’t just a speech device – it’s exactly what we are proposing today. To make the California Dream available to all, our state must be fiscally sound. This budget lays a strong financial foundation for our state by eliminating debts, expanding the rainy-day fund and paying down our unfunded liabilities,” he continued.

Shortly after, Eloy Oakley, the California Community Colleges (CCC) Chancellor, issued a statement on Newsom’s 2019-20 budget proposal, which was in favor of extending the college promise and working with the legislature to provide more need-based financial aid and increase Cal Grants.

In a media statement released and currently being updated, Oakley talked about the plans for community colleges and working with Newsom and the California lawmakers.

“We will work with the governor and the legislature to expand this opportunity to put students first and continue to expand need-based financial aid to cover the cost of attendance,” he said.

Furthermore, Oakley’s statement concurred with Newsom’s agenda of expanding the College Promise to provide free tuition for low-income first time, full-time students.

Christina Jimenez, Public Information Officer for the Office of Communications and Marketing CCC Office believes higher education is important.

“Today’s economy requires students have skills,” she said. “Employers are interested in what skills students have and what they can do. Research shows that short term certificates can raise wages, but for students to have a long-term upward mobility of wage gains, more education, skill development and upgrading of skills is required to continue an upward trend.”