Governor Gavin Newsom signed a bill requiring CSU students to take an ethnics studies course

Mariah Arviso, Digital Editor

California Governor, Gavin Newsom, signed a bill on Aug. 17 that requires students, going into a California State University, to take an ethnic studies course. This is required for students joining as freshmen.
Movements such as Black lives Matter allowed for a push of ethnic studies to be a requirement in public schools. Students will be required to take one of the available classes that focus on ethnic history. Some of these classes include African American studies, Native American studies, Asian American studies, or Hispanic studies.
Each course will be taught in all CSU’s and are three-unit courses. This bill took place of another bill that was proposed. It required students to take a social justice course that included LGBTQ+ studies, Muslim studies, and Jewish studies. The bill was turned down due to excessive costs.
“Gov. Newsom, by signing AB 1460, has demonstrated his understanding of the power of a true ethnic studies graduation requirement to change people’s lives and to change the racial trajectory this state and country are on,” Charles Toombs, the association’s president said on the EDSource website designed for students. “Moreover, Gov. Newsom, unlike so many others, has listened to and really heard the voices and lens of ethnic studies faculty, students, and the community.”
Many people on the board were against the bill, but the votes bypassed those who agreed according to the LA Times. The bill gives students the chance to learn about new cultures and the history surrounding a specific ethnic group.
“I have always wanted to take ethnics studies, and even though I chose to take one once I registered, I always wondered why it wasn’t a requirement for everyone,” CSU Fullerton student Damien Gonzales said. “I’m glad they decided to make it a requirement. More people should learn the history of other ethnic groups so that maybe everyone can understand why people stand up for their culture.”
Although these classes were not a requirement prior to this bill, some of the courses were still available for students to take if needed for their major. The bill was approved in July, but it was not passed until mid-August. Gov. Newsom received much criticism for allowing this bill to pass from board members.
All courses are now available for students to take virtually. All CSU’s sent out a mass email to all new students that taking at least one ethnic studies course is a requirement by the state.