The Renegade Podcast: A breakdown of each California’s 2020 propositions *transcript included*

Haley Duval, Editor-in-Chief

California voters will decide the outcome of the 12 propositions on Nov. 3. The ballot measures are pieces of proposed legislation to be approved or rejected by eligible voters. They cover a variety of topics and issues.
You may have seen commercials asking you to support or reject some of these measures. If it feels like you are not getting an accurate idea of what each of these means, this should help.
Here is the breakdown of the key issues behind each statewide Measures:
Proposition 14 will have California continue to fund stem cell and other medical research, medical training, building new research facilities, and expanding treatment access, by borrowing $5.5 billion from selling investor bonds. 1.5 billion dollars would be dedicated to brain and central nervous system diseases, such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, stroke, and epilepsy. Taxpayers will pay back the money, with interest, for the next 30 years.
A vote Yes on this measure means: A yes vote for Prop. 14 would authorize the state to sell the general obligation bonds, primarily for stem cell research and the development of new medical treatments in California.
A vote NO on this measure means: A no vote for Prop. 14 would stop the sale.
Who supports this measure: Gov. Gavin Newson, The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research, and Sickle Cell Disease Foundation of California.
Supporters say stem cell bonds have led to new medical treatments and important research that should be continued.
Who’s against this measure: Jeff Sheehy, board member of the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine, said Prop. 14 is “unaffordable, unnecessary, fatally flawed, and unsupportable.”
Proposition 15 is an increase in property taxes on commercial and industrial real property based on their current market value, to raise the funding for public schools, community colleges, and local government services. It will not directly affect California’s homeowners and businesses that are under $3 million.
A vote Yes on this measure means: A yes vote on Prop. 15 will increase in property taxes on the state’s large businesses that are worth more than $3 million, to provide higher funding for California’s schools and local government.
A vote NO on this measure means: A no vote on Prop. 15 means property taxes on the state’s large businesses that are worth more than $3 million will stay the same and California’s schools and local governments would not get new funding.
Who supports this measure: Joe Biden, Gov. Gavin Newson, and California Teachers Association.
Who’s against this measure: California Chamber of Commerce, California Retailer’s Association, and California NAACP.
Proposition 16 allows California universities and government decision-making policies to consider someone’s race, gender, or ethnicity to address diversity.
A vote Yes on this measure means: A yes vote on Prop. 16 allows public education and public employment to have an “affirmative action” programs to increase diversity and include race, gender, and ethnicity in a part of their decision-making.
A vote NO on this measure means: A no vote on Prop. 16 means the current ban on the consideration of race, gender, and ethnicity in a part of decision-making would remain.
Who supports this measure: Gov. Gavin Newson, California Community Colleges, and the California State University.
Who’s against this measure: Students for Fair Admissions, Chinese American Civic Action Alliance, and Californians for Equal Rights.
Proposition 17 would allow voting rights to people on parole in California. Also, allow parolees to run for office if they are registered to vote and have not been convicted of perjury or bribery.
A vote Yes on this measure means: A yes vote on Prop. 17 would allow U.S. citizens on state parole and at least 18 years of age to vote if they register in California.
A vote NO on this measure means: A no vote on Prop. 17 means people on state parole would continue to be unable to vote in California.
Who supports this measure: Gov. Gavin Newson, Assemblymember Kevin McCarty, and League of Women Voters of California.
Who’s against this measure: Crime Victims United of California.
Proposition 18 would let 17-year-olds to vote in primary and special elections if they will turn 18 by the next general election and are eligible to vote.
A vote Yes on this measure means: A yes vote on Prop. 18 would allow eligible 17-year-olds who will be 18 by the next general election in November to vote in primary and special elections.
A vote NO on this measure means: A no vote on Prop. 18 means no one younger than the age of 18 may vote in any election.
Who supports this measure: Gov. Gavin Newson, California Association of Student Councils, and League of Women Voters of California.
Who’s against this measure: Election Integrity Project California.
Proposition 19 gives home protection to homeowners who are over 55, disabled, or whose home was destroyed by a disaster or wildfire, by allowing to transfer primary residence’s tax base when buying a new home. This allows baby-boomers to buy a new home in the state with low tax property taxes.
A vote Yes on this measure means: A yes vote on Prop. 19 means all homeowners who are over 55, disabled, or who had their home affected by a natural disaster are eligible to keep their lower property taxes when moving to a new home anywhere in the state, up to three times.
A vote NO on this measure means: A no vote on Prop. 19 means only some homeowners who met the qualifications are eligible for property tax savings when buying a new home.
Who supports this measure: Gov. Gavin Newson, California Professional Firefighters, Californians for Disability Rights, and Congress of California Seniors.
Who’s against this measure: Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association.
Proposition 20 increases penalties and limit parole access for certain theft-related and property crimes.
A vote Yes on this measure means: A yes vote on Prop. 20 means people who are convicted of stealing items worth $250 to 950 can be changed as felonies rather than misdemeanors if the prosecutor chose too. It can also limit early releases from prison for people who are convicted for felonies and law enforcement can collect DNA samples for people who are a charge for certain types of misdemeanors, such as illegal drug possession and shoplifting.
A vote NO on this measure means: A no vote on Prop. 20 means there would be no increase in penalties for people who commit certain theft-related crimes. There would be no change on the state’s process when deciding early prison releases nor would law enforcement can collect DNA samples from people who are a charge for misdemeanors.
Who supports this measure: California Retailers Association, Republican Assembly member Vince Fong, and Democratic Assembly member Jim Cooper
Who’s against this measure: Gov. Gavin Newson, and California Teachers Association.
Proposition 21 allows cities and counties to pass rent control measures on residential properties that are over 15 years old.
A vote Yes on this measure means: A yes vote on Prop. 21 would allow California counties and cities can have control to limit how much a landlord can increase the rent when a new renter. moves in. This measure would only apply to landlords who own more than two housing units.
A vote NO on this measure means: A vote no on Prop. 21 means the state would remain the same maintain current limits on rent control laws cities and counties can apply.
Who supports this measure: Vermont U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders, Dolores Huerta, and Eviction Defense Network.
Who’s against this measure: Gov. Gavin Newson and California Apartment Association.
Proposition 22 classifies app-based drivers as “independent contractors,” instead of “employees.”
A vote Yes on this measure means: App-based rideshare and delivery companies could hire drivers as independent contractors. If this measure passes, companies that employ drivers through apps would help keep the drivers of those services as independent contractors and drivers could decide when, where, how much to work. It would be able to offer some narrower benefits, but not get the standard benefits and protections that businesses must provide employees.
A vote NO on this measure means: App-based rideshare and delivery companies would have to hire drivers as their employees. Drivers would have less of a choice to decide when, where, how much to work but would get standard benefits and protections that businesses must provide employees.
Who supports this measure: Prop. 22 is heavily being pushed by exempt gig companies like Uber and Lyft.
Who’s against this measure: Opponents say billionaire companies like Uber and Lyft should not allow refusing full-time employee benefits. It would stop them from writing their exemption to California law and profiting from it.
Proposition 23 would require dialysis clinics to have a doctor present during all treatment hours. Also, must report data on dialysis-related infections, require operators to get approval from the state health department before closing a clinic, and do not discriminate against patients based on their source of insurance or payment care.
A vote Yes on this measure means: A yes vote on Prop. 23 means dialysis patients would require having at least one doctor present during all of the patient’s treatment hours.
A vote NO on this measure means: A no vote on Prop. 23 means dialysis patients would not require having at least one doctor present during all of the patient’s treatment hours.
Who supports this measure: Service Employees International Union-United Health Care Workers and California Labor Federation.
Who’s against this measure: California Medical Association
Proposition 24 expands California’s consumer data privacy laws by preventing businesses from sharing personal information, such as location data, health information, race, and religion. Launches California Privacy Protection Agency to enforces the state to fine companies and businesses up to $7,500 for violating privacy rights.
A vote Yes on this measure means: A yes vote on Prop. 24 means consumer data privacy laws and rights would be expanded, and businesses would require meeting the new privacy requirements while also continue to follow the existing ones.
A vote NO on this measure means: A no vote on Prop. 24 opposes the measure to expand the state’s consumer data privacy laws or to enforce the state’s consumer data privacy laws.
Who supports this measure: Consumer Watchdog and Alice Huffman, president of the California NAACP.
Who’s against this measure: American Civil Liberties Union and Dolores Huerta.
Proposition 25: A “yes” vote approves, a “no” vote rejects the law on replacing money bail with a system based on public safety. Which would make California the first state to replace cash bail with a different system if approves. This measure would not affect trials outside the state court system.
A vote Yes on this measure means: A yes vote on Prop. 25 means no one would pay bail to get out of jail before the trial, the state would get rid of the bail system and allow the state’s new law to go into effect. People would either be releases automatically, depending on the risk of them committing another crime or not appearing in court if released.
A vote NO on this measure means: A no vote on Prop. 25 rejects the measure on replacing money bail with system based on public safety in California.
Who supports this measure: Gov. Gavin Newsom, California Teachers Association, California Medical Association, and League of Women Voters of California.
Who’s against this measure: Human Rights Watch, California Peace Officers’ Association, and California Bail Agents Association.