California Department of Public Health’s guidelines for social gatherings and holidays

Amaya Lawton, Reporter

Many families are planning to host a normal Thanksgiving dinner with their household during COVID-19.

According to the California Department of Public Health website, there are guidelines for gatherings during the pandemic.
“Gatherings are defined as social situations that bring together people from different households at the same time in a single space or place,” the California Department of Public Health stated.
The guidelines are regarding any social gatherings that may happen during the pandemic.

However, according to the Hollywood News website called Deadline, Governor Gavin Newsom stated to have never released Thanksgiving guidelines or any holiday guidelines. Newsom plans to release statewide guidelines for Thanksgiving, but the guidelines set for gatherings now apply to any general group social interaction.

The California Department of Public Health’s website has released guidelines for social gatherings that reflect the beginning of the pandemic and were updated recently in September.
“Gatherings that included more than 3 households are prohibited,” according to the California Department of Public Health. “This includes everyone present, including hosts and guests.”

The California Department of Public Health’s website also stated that “Gatherings that occur outdoors are significantly safer than indoor gatherings,” they stated. “For any gatherings permitted under this guidance, the space must be large enough so that everyone at a gathering can maintain at least a 6-foot physical distance from others (not including their own household) at all times,”

Some families are opposed to this restriction, however, stating that they will conduct their holiday gatherings the same as they do every year. Rachael Fellows expressed her opinion by stating that it is more likely for her to come in contact with spit, or mucus from a stranger’s sneeze at work than at a family gathering.
“But yes, I will be doing Thanksgiving the same way with my family, (which include) 4 or 5 house gatherings,” Fellows said.

Rebekah Salcido, a current BC student, shared her opinion on the guidelines by stating that her family will follow the household guidelines to keep everyone safe and slow the spread of COVID-19.
Chloe Lozano, a student from CSUB, shared the same thought and explained that “We are going to keep it to just those in our household. Many of us are high risk, so staying healthy is our number one priority.”

Newsom has not released specific guidelines to pertain to any holiday gathering at this time, however, plans to do so, as stated in the Deadline article.