BC gears up for the 2023 Commencement ceremony

Amanda Hernandez, Sports and Digital Editor

photo from previous ceremonies (photo courtesy of of BC’s Marketing and Public Relations Department.

Bakersfield College is holding their 109th commencement ceremony on May 12 at Memorial Stadium to honor the graduating class of 2023.

This year, Bakersfield College has announced that there will not be any tickets necessary for family and friends. However, each graduate is limited to ten guests to ensure that there is enough seating to accommodate family members of all students participating in the ceremony.

To RSVP, students must go to https://www.bakersfieldcollege.edu/graduation and click the link attached to fill out the form.

There will be a few different speakers including the College President, a representative from the Kern CCD Board of Trustees, the President of the Alumni Association, and the BCSGA president, Shehrazad “Raz” Barraj.

The commencement is set to begin promptly at 7:00 pm, however, graduates must check in at 5:00 pm. For guests attending to support a student, the gates will open at 5:30 pm to find seating.

Though Bakersfield College is a community college and most students will be graduating with an AA in their specific major, there are some programs they offer a baccalaureate in, and some students who have obtained this degree will also be walking across the stage on May 12.

Dean of students, Nicky Damania states, “We are once again excited to welcome and honor our graduates to celebrate their accomplishments, I have no doubt that our BC graduates will make a positive impact within our communities and I am eager to wish them the best as they embark on the next chapter of their lives.”

Following the commencement will be a firework show to celebrate the class of 2023 as they move to the next chapter of their lives.